all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* add-change-log-entry and add-log-mailing-address
@ 2003-04-09 19:13 Morten Welinder
From: Morten Welinder @ 2003-04-09 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

`M-x add-change-log-entry' is supposed to use add-log-mailing-address
as the email address in new change log entries.  It only works partly,
that is to say not at all in the face of local variables.  Here's what
it does when activated from foo.c:

1. Set foo.c's add-log-mailing-address to a default, if needed.
2. Use ChangeLog's add-log-mailing-address in the entry.

(And similarly for add-log-full-name, but I change email address more often
than full name.)

I claim that it should really be using foo.c's in (2) also.  That way,
you can set it locally in a buffer and have changes done in that buffer
"tagged" as being from a certain email account.  Specifically, I want use

(add-hook 'c-mode-hook
	    (lambda ()
	        (let ((filename (buffer-file-name)))
		      (and filename
			   (string-match "/something/" filename)
			   (progn
				;; ...
				(make-local-variable 'add-log-mailing-address)
				(setq add-log-mailing-address "terra@gnu.org")
				))))
	     t)

Morten

Observed on 21.1.3 compiled on sparc-sun-solaris2.7.

* Re: add-change-log-entry and add-log-mailing-address
@ 2003-04-09 22:25 ` Thien-Thi Nguyen
From: Thien-Thi Nguyen @ 2003-04-09 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Morten Welinder <terra@gnu.org> writes:

   I claim that it should really be using foo.c's in (2) also.  That way,
   you can set it locally in a buffer and have changes done in that buffer
   "tagged" as being from a certain email account.

a change log entry may reflect changes in several files; association of a
change log component w/ a single file (or buffer) may give rise to conflicts.
can you come up w/ another approach that either handles, or (better yet)
avoids, this possibility?

thi

* Re: add-change-log-entry and add-log-mailing-address
@ 2003-04-10 22:47 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-04-10 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

    1. Set foo.c's add-log-mailing-address to a default, if needed.
    2. Use ChangeLog's add-log-mailing-address in the entry.

    (And similarly for add-log-full-name, but I change email address more often
    than full name.)

    I claim that it should really be using foo.c's in (2) also.

It seems like a good idea.  Would you like to send a patch?

* Re: add-change-log-entry and add-log-mailing-address
@ 2003-04-11 23:37   ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-04-11 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Say, why are you guys still emphasizing fuddy duddy mail addresses
when like for 10 years now we can go to the person's web page, which
of course will mention his mail address.

I have done (setq add-log-mailing-address "http://jidanni.org/")
in the meantime.

Therefore make a new variable to contain the person's website, and use
it if set, instead. Also maybe angle brackets are an issue.

Mention it in Info and docstring.

I mean say we encounter a developer's name like "Bdale Garbee", and we
are overwhelmed with curiosity about how this "Bdale" arose, and if he
was the famous boy named after a golden retriever, Barksdale?

Well, do you suppose we want to risk asking this to his face, or
instead say, saunter around his web page looking for the answer?

* Re: add-change-log-entry and add-log-mailing-address
@ 2003-04-14  2:36     ` Richard Stallman
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4534.1050287861.21513.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-04-14  2:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

    Say, why are you guys still emphasizing fuddy duddy mail addresses
    when like for 10 years now we can go to the person's web page, which
    of course will mention his mail address.

Finding the email address in the web page is not reliable,
and not automatic.  So we will continue using email addresses
in change logs.

@ 2003-04-14  6:01       ` David Kastrup
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4613.1050363127.21513.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-04-14  6:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>     Say, why are you guys still emphasizing fuddy duddy mail
>     addresses when like for 10 years now we can go to the person's
>     web page, which of course will mention his mail address.
>
> Finding the email address in the web page is not reliable, and not
> automatic.  So we will continue using email addresses in change
> logs.

I don't even have a web page.

@ 2003-04-14 12:41     ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2003-04-14 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

   Say, why are you guys still emphasizing fuddy duddy mail addresses
   when like for 10 years now we can go to the person's web page,
   which of course will mention his mail address.

I can think of several reasons, here are a few:

  1) Not everyone has a web page

  2) Just because you have a web page doesn't mean that the email
     address will be easy to find, if it is there at all.

  3) You might want to send the person who made the change an email
     while being offline (and putting the mail in a queue).  Since the
     address is on an web page you cannot check what the address it,
     thus you cannot write the email.

  4) ChangeLog's are not peronal adds.

In short, if you want to know personal details about someone, use
google.

* Re: add-change-log-entry and add-log-mailing-address
@ 2003-04-14 20:34         ` Dan Jacobson
       [not found]         ` <mailman.4613.1050363127.21513.bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-04-14 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

D> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
>> Say, why are you guys still emphasizing fuddy duddy mail
>> addresses when like for 10 years now we can go to the person's
>> web page, which of course will mention his mail address.
>>
>> Finding the email address in the web page is not reliable, and not
>> automatic.  So we will continue using email addresses in change
>> logs.

[Neat, SuperCite put my words in Richard's mouth without even a trace of
difference in this instance.]

D> I don't even have a web page.

My next of kin has a web page but no email address. Now what?

Hmm, I bet if we check the logs, 20 years ago you guys were defending
putting telephone numbers while we were pushing email addresses.

Anyway, I'm all about choice. So, I was just humbly mentioning that
the subject of "what to do if I want my web page's address there
instead of (or even in addition to) my email address" should be
mentioned in the docs.

And, lets say I went on a sudden vacation.  With just my email address, you
would mail into a black hole.  With my web page address, you could
wistfully enjoy my pages until I got back.

Or, let's say I want to ask a VIP a FAQ. Would I want to display my
inadeptness so early in the game by emailing him?  No, I would go to
the FAQ page right there on his web page.

Anyways, the docs should mention what to do, in case it is a better
solution for some users.  I mean the docs shouldn't just assume that
all users want email addresses instead of webpages.

How about users like "IBM".  Would IBM like folks to know a email
address instead of a webpage?

How about users unable to come to grips with spam, and are paranoid
about leaving email addresses around, or switch regularly, but on the
other hand have a healthy web page... the docs should mention what to
do in their case.
--
http://jidanni.org/ Taiwan(04)25854780

* Re: add-change-log-entry and add-log-mailing-address
@ 2003-04-15  9:05           ` Alfred M. Szmidt
From: Alfred M. Szmidt @ 2003-04-15  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

   My next of kin has a web page but no email address. Now what?

Then the person can't send patches, thus cannot create an ChangeLog
entry.  So your point is quite useless.

   Hmm, I bet if we check the logs, 20 years ago you guys were
   defending putting telephone numbers while we were pushing email
   addresses.

You have a twisted sense of history if you think that.  Just take a
peek at the ChangeLog's for Emacs they date back to around 1988,
before that UUCP was used I think.

   Anyway, I'm all about choice. So, I was just humbly mentioning that
   the subject of "what to do if I want my web page's address there
   instead of (or even in addition to) my email address" should be
   mentioned in the docs.

Put it in the AUTHORS file or put it in your signature, it just does
not belong in the ChangeLog.

   And, lets say I went on a sudden vacation.  With just my email
   address, you would mail into a black hole.  With my web page
   address, you could wistfully enjoy my pages until I got back.

What guarantee do I have that you will update your web page? None.  So
I would be wasting my time watching your lovely web pages, when
instead I could be hacking (and waiting at the same time for your
reply).

   Or, let's say I want to ask a VIP a FAQ. Would I want to display my
   inadeptness so early in the game by emailing him?  No, I would go
   to the FAQ page right there on his web page.

If you can visit the web, you can also use a search engine.  Which
tends to be even faster than what you suggest.

   Anyways, the docs should mention what to do, in case it is a better
   solution for some users.  I mean the docs shouldn't just assume
   that all users want email addresses instead of webpages.

ChangeLog's is not a document, it is an history log.

   How about users like "IBM".  Would IBM like folks to know a email
   address instead of a webpage?

What users like "IBM"? A single developer from IBM? I would rather
have his/hers email than wade through the web maze.  Or even worse, I
would find an "public relations" email address!

   How about users unable to come to grips with spam, and are paranoid
   about leaving email addresses around, or switch regularly, but on the
   other hand have a healthy web page... the docs should mention what to
   do in their case.

If you are that paranoid, maybe you should talk to the Emacs doctor,
he may help you.  And what about those lovely spam harvesters that
harvest address on web pages?  Even more spam for the paranoid folks!

@ 2003-04-15 15:08           ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-04-15 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Convert all the <user@domain> email addresses in the ChangeLog files to
mailto:user@domain URLs, and allow http:... URLs as well.

--

* Re: add-change-log-entry and add-log-mailing-address
@ 2003-04-16  3:12             ` Dan Jacobson
From: Dan Jacobson @ 2003-04-16  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ok then in the documentation, say "Back in 2003 someone suggested
URL's could be optionally also used in ChangeLogs, along with email
addresses, but the idea was rejected."  Otherwise users would think
nobody ever thought of it.