all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* iswitch-like bookmark-jump ?
@ 2003-04-10  7:19 François Fleuret
From: François Fleuret @ 2003-04-10  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Now that  I use  iswitchb-mode, I miss  it when  I don't have  it. For
instance,  is it  possible to  set up  the selection  of  bookmarks in
bookmark-jump so that  it is done the same way  (and in find-file too,
and others) ? I think I saw something like that somewhere.

At least, is there an option so that the completion in the mini-buffer
(with [tab]) cycles through all potential completions instead of begin
stuck after the longest common substring ?

Thanks in advance,

FF

* Re: iswitch-like bookmark-jump ?
@ 2003-04-10 11:08 ` Sergei Pokrovsky
From: Sergei Pokrovsky @ 2003-04-10 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

  FF> Hi,

  FF> Now that I use iswitchb-mode, I miss it when I don't have
  FF> it. For instance, is it possible to set up the selection of
  FF> bookmarks in bookmark-jump so that it is done the same way (and
  FF> in find-file too, and others) ? I think I saw something like
  FF> that somewhere.

  FF> At least, is there an option so that the completion in the mini-buffer
  FF> (with [tab]) cycles through all potential completions instead of begin
  FF> stuck after the longest common substring ?

I use

;;; mcomplete.el --- minibuffer completion with prefix and substring matching

[...]

;; This program borrows the ideas and the design of the following
;; programs:
;;
;;  icomplete.el --- minibuffer completion incremental feedback
;;  Author: Ken Manheimer
;;
;;  iswitchb.el --- switch between buffers using substrings
;;  Author: Stephen Eglen

[...]

;;; Commentary:

;; This package enhances Emacs's minibuffer completion mechanism.
;;
;; In short, this is icomplete.el + iswitchb.el +/- something.

[...]

;;; Compatibility:

;; complete.el
;;   tab, space, ... is used for mcomplete-mode.
;;   M-tab, M-SPACE, ... might work.
;;
;; completing-help.el (>= version 3.3)
;;   With this packege, short descriptions on completions is displayed
;;   by pressing `?'.
;;
;;   You can get completing-help.el at
;;   http://homepage1.nifty.com/bmonkey/emacs/elisp/completing-help.el
;;
;; icomplete.el
;;   icomplete-mode gets turned off when mcomplete-mode is activated.
;;
;; ido.el (http://hjem.get2net.dk/storm/emacs/)
;;   Both work. ido commands take precedence.
;;
;; iswitchb.el
;;   Both work. iswitchb commands take precedence.
;;

[...]

;;  Here's a code for bookmark-jump a la iswitch-buffer.
;;  (put 'bookmark-jump
;;       'mcomplete-mode
;;       '(:method-set (mcomplete-substr-method mcomplete-prefix-method)
;;         :exhibit-start-chars 0))

[...]

--
Sergei

* Re: iswitch-like bookmark-jump ?
@ 2003-04-10 12:10 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-10 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

francois.fleuret@noos.fr (François Fleuret) writes:

> Now that  I use  iswitchb-mode, I miss  it when  I don't have  it. For
> instance,  is it  possible to  set up  the selection  of  bookmarks in
> bookmark-jump so that  it is done the same way  (and in find-file too,
> and others) ? I think I saw something like that somewhere.

ido.el does like iswitchb for find-file.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: iswitch-like bookmark-jump ?
@ 2003-04-10 17:01 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-04-10 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

François Fleuret wrote:

> At least, is there an option so that the completion in the mini-buffer
> (with [tab]) cycles through all potential completions instead of begin
> stuck after the longest common substring ?

I wrote and use:

;;;; minibuffer-complete-cycle.el -- Cycle through the *Completions* buffer.

;;;
;;; The `minibuffer-complete' command, bound by default to TAB in the
;;; minibuffer completion keymaps, displays the list of possible
;;; completions when no additional characters can be completed.
;;; Subsequent invocations of this command cause the window displaying
;;; the *Completions* buffer to scroll, if necessary.
;;;
;;; This package advises the `minibuffer-complete' command so that
;;; subsequent invocations instead insert each of the possible
;;; completions in turn into the minibuffer, and highlight it in the
;;; *Completions* buffer.  As before, the window displaying the possible
;;; completions is scrolled if necessary.  This enhancement is enabled
;;; or disabled by setting or unsetting the `minibuffer-complete-cycle'
;;; option.