all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* auctex + texlive = problems
@ 2003-03-17 17:12 Garglemonster
From: Garglemonster @ 2003-03-17 17:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi.

i recently switched my laptop over to texlive from tetex.  now i find
that i can't get auctex to compile latex files unless i start emacs
from a terminal window command prompt.  (it tells me it can't find the
latex binary) i've used customise to set up the latex commands to
reflect the locations of the new binaries.  i have TEXINPUTS, TEXMF
and TEX_PATH set in my .bashrc.  what am i forgetting?

thanks in advance,

--
garglemonster@my-deja.com

I've got an IDEA!!  Why don't I STARE at you so HARD, you forget your
SOCIAL SECURITY NUMBER!!

* Re: auctex + texlive = problems
@ 2003-03-18 13:05 ` Pierre Albarede
From: Pierre Albarede @ 2003-03-18 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

Garglemonster :
> i can't get auctex to compile latex files unless i start emacs
> from a terminal window command prompt.

So where do you start emacs from?

> i have TEXINPUTS, TEXMF
> and TEX_PATH set in my .bashrc.

If you do not start emacs from bash, then emacs can't be informed about
bash variables.

* Re: auctex + texlive = problems
@ 2003-03-24 21:28 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-03-24 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Garglemonster <garglemonster@my-deja.com> writes:

> i recently switched my laptop over to texlive from tetex.  now i find
> that i can't get auctex to compile latex files unless i start emacs
> from a terminal window command prompt.  (it tells me it can't find the
> latex binary) i've used customise to set up the latex commands to
> reflect the locations of the new binaries.  i have TEXINPUTS, TEXMF
> and TEX_PATH set in my .bashrc.  what am i forgetting?

Maybe $PATH?

* Re: auctex + texlive = problems
@ 2003-03-26  3:11   ` Garglemonster
From: Garglemonster @ 2003-03-26  3:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=iso-2022-jp-2, Size: 1231 bytes --]

    Kai> Garglemonster <garglemonster@my-deja.com> writes:
    >> i recently switched my laptop over to texlive from tetex.  now
    >> i find that i can't get auctex to compile latex files unless i
    >> start emacs from a terminal window command prompt.  (it tells
    >> me it can't find the latex binary) i've used customise to set
    >> up the latex commands to reflect the locations of the new
    >> binaries.  i have TEXINPUTS, TEXMF and TEX_PATH set in my
    >> .bashrc.  what am i forgetting?

    Kai> Maybe $PATH?

i have stuff set up like this in my .bashrc :

FOO_PATH=/blah/blah:/usr/blah/blah
BAR_PATH=/yadda/yadda:/usr/yadda/yadda:/usr/local/yadda/yadda
PATH=$FOO_PATH:$BAR_PATH

checked again, and i haven't forgotten to add any of the relevant
$TEX_STUFF.  however, just in case anyone was worried, i don't think
this is an emacs/auctex problem since i've discovered that i can no
longer compile latex files in console.  (this is on slackware linux 9)
things do work on an rxvt console in x, though.  problem must be
elsewhere.  thanks for your help, though.

--
garglemonster@my-deja.com

There are alternatives to war AND oil

* Re: auctex + texlive = problems
@ 2003-03-26  8:06     ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-03-26  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>     Kai> Garglemonster <garglemonster@my-deja.com> writes:
>     >> i recently switched my laptop over to texlive from tetex.  now
>     >> i find that i can't get auctex to compile latex files unless i
>     >> start emacs from a terminal window command prompt.  (it tells
>     >> me it can't find the latex binary) i've used customise to set
>     >> up the latex commands to reflect the locations of the new
>     >> binaries.  i have TEXINPUTS, TEXMF and TEX_PATH set in my
>     >> .bashrc.  what am i forgetting?
>
>     Kai> Maybe $PATH?
>
> i have stuff set up like this in my .bashrc :
>
> FOO_PATH=/blah/blah:/usr/blah/blah
> BAR_PATH=/yadda/yadda:/usr/yadda/yadda:/usr/local/yadda/yadda
> PATH=$FOO_PATH:$BAR_PATH
>
> checked again, and i haven't forgotten to add any of the relevant
> $TEX_STUFF.  however, just in case anyone was worried, i don't think
> this is an emacs/auctex problem since i've discovered that i can no
> longer compile latex files in console.  (this is on slackware linux 9)
> things do work on an rxvt console in x, though.  problem must be
> elsewhere.

man bash

and read about what files are read into what shells at what time.