all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Disable menubar broken, question about change
@ 2003-02-26 19:44 Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2003-02-26 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs devel

Hello.

Hello.

I noticed that disabling the menu bar with
% emacs -xrm 'Emacs.menuBar: 0'

(or the same thing in .Xdefaults) doesn't work anymore.
The change of the default value for menu-bar-mode to t in menu-bar.el is what
stopped this working.

  (defcustom menu-bar-mode t
    "Toggle display of a menu bar on each frame.
   Setting this variable directly does not take effect;

2002-02-19  Per Abrahamsen  <abraham@dina.kvl.dk>

         * facemenu.el (describe-text-mode-map): Removed bootstrap kludge.

         * toolbar/tool-bar.el (tool-bar-mode): Made the standard value t.
         * menu-bar.el (menu-bar-mode): Ditto.

I don't know the correct fix for this, presumably the change was to fix
something else?  The setting of tool-bar-mode is done quite different, so
-xrm 'Emacs.toolBar: 0' works:

;; We want to pretend the toolbar by standard is on, as this will make
;; customize consider disabling the toolbar a customization, and save
;; that.  We could do this for real by setting :init-value above, but
;; that would turn on the toolbar in MS Windows where it is currently
;; useless, and it would overwrite disabling the tool bar from X
;; resources.  If anyone want to implement this in a cleaner way,
;; please do so.
;; -- Per Abrahamsen <abraham@dina.kvl.dk> 2002-02-21.
(put 'tool-bar-mode 'standard-value '(t))

Is the proper change to do the same for menu-bar-mode as for tool-bar-mode or
is it to set the default for menu-bar-mode back to nil?

Thanks,

	Jan D.

* Re: Disable menubar broken, question about change
@ 2003-02-27 22:30 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2003-02-27 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Is the proper change to do the same for menu-bar-mode as for tool-bar-mode or
    is it to set the default for menu-bar-mode back to nil?

The standard value clearly should be t, but if using the same method
to specify that as for tool-bar-mode works, then it is probably ok.
Want to try it?

* Re: Disable menubar broken, question about change
@ 2003-03-01 15:57   ` Jan D.
From: Jan D. @ 2003-03-01 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Is the proper change to do the same for menu-bar-mode as for tool-bar-mode or
>     is it to set the default for menu-bar-mode back to nil?
>
> The standard value clearly should be t, but if using the same method
> to specify that as for tool-bar-mode works, then it is probably ok.
> Want to try it?

I installed that change, it seems to work OK now.

	Jan D: