all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* please help cut and paste
@ 2003-02-20  7:43 Tom Hu
From: Tom Hu @ 2003-02-20  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have this problem for a while and could not find the way to resolve
it. Please help:

I use MS Windows (win2k) with ReflectionX (openwin xterm).

1. I can cut (copy) and paste between two xterm or between xterm and
win2k netscape mail. But I can not copy (select copy) and paste from
xterm+emacs to win2k netscape mail or window Word. It seems to me the
emacs can not copy the text to Window application.

* Re: please help cut and paste
@ 2003-02-20 17:32 ` Michael P. Broida
From: Michael P. Broida @ 2003-02-20 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Hu wrote:

> I have this problem for a while and could not find the way to resolve
> it. Please help:
>
> I use MS Windows (win2k) with ReflectionX (openwin xterm).
>
> 1. I can cut (copy) and paste between two xterm or between xterm and
> win2k netscape mail. But I can not copy (select copy) and paste from
> xterm+emacs to win2k netscape mail or window Word. It seems to me the
> emacs can not copy the text to Window application.

	Might depend on how you're doing the "copy".

	Just highlighting a section of text is enough to
	"copy" for purposes within Emacs itself; Emacs
	can paste that in just fine.  And SOMETIMES that
	same block can be pasted into other applications.

	But some applications seem to draw ONLY from the
	Windows clipboard.  To work with those, I specifically
	do an Emacs "copy" using Esc-w (or Ctrl-w and Ctrl-y
	to cut and restore the original ).  Then the text
	is in Windows' clipboard and pastes just fine in
	every app I've used.  (I haven't specifically tried
	xterms, though.

		Mike