all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs shell and frames
@ 2003-02-17  4:57 Robert L. Knighten
From: Robert L. Knighten @ 2003-02-17  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

The emacs 'shell' command has the nice feature that if the shell buffer
already exists it is reused, including simply switching to the buffer if the
shell process is also running.  I prefer to use a separate FRAME for this
purpose.  Do any of you have a version of the 'shell' command that will reuse
an existing shell frame in much the same manner as is now done with the shell
buffer?

Thank you for any help.

-- Bob

--
Robert L. Knighten
Robert@Knighten.org

* Re: Emacs shell and frames
@ 2003-02-17 15:32 ` Galen Boyer
From: Galen Boyer @ 2003-02-17 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 16 Feb 2003, Robert@Knighten.org wrote:

> The emacs 'shell' command has the nice feature that if the shell
> buffer already exists it is reused, including simply switching to the
> buffer if the shell process is also running.  I prefer to use a
> separate FRAME for this purpose.  Do any of you have a version of the
> 'shell' command that will reuse an existing shell frame in much the
> same manner as is now done with the shell buffer?

I cut a sample of the buffers I use this for.  I should be obvious by
the parameter's names how to customize to your own preferences.  The
main thing is that if you open a new shell window, it opens in a new
frame.  If you C-x b *shell*, that frame pops up.

(setq special-display-buffer-names
      '(("*info*"
	 (top . 5)
	 (left . 100)
	 (width . 90)
	 (height . 55)
	 (background-color . "gray85")
	 (font . "-outline-Courier New-normal-r-normal-normal-11-97-96-96-c-*-iso8859-15")
	 (menu-bar-lines . 0))
	("*shell*"
	 (top . 5)
	 (left . -75)
	 (width . 80)
	 (height . 50)
	 (menu-bar-lines . 0)
	 (font . "-outline-Courier New-normal-r-normal-normal-13-97-96-96-c-*-iso8859-15")
	 (foreground-color . "black")
	 (background-color . "snow"))
	("*Help*"
	 (top . 5)
	 (left . -75)
	 (width . 80)
	 (height . 50)
	 (menu-bar-lines . 0)
	 (font . "-outline-Courier New-normal-r-normal-normal-13-97-96-96-c-*-iso8859-15")
	 (foreground-color . "black")
	 (background-color . "light steel blue"))
	))

--
Galen deForest Boyer

* Re: Emacs shell and frames
@ 2003-02-17 18:51 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-02-17 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert L. Knighten wrote:

> The emacs 'shell' command has the nice feature that if the shell buffer
> already exists it is reused, including simply switching to the buffer if the
> shell process is also running.  I prefer to use a separate FRAME for this
> purpose.  Do any of you have a version of the 'shell' command that will reuse
> an existing shell frame in much the same manner as is now done with the shell
> buffer?

(setq special-display-buffer-names
      (cons "*shell*" special-display-buffer-names))