all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: case-fold annoyance
       [not found] <b2e663$rrv$1@reader1.panix.com>
@ 2003-02-13  0:08 ` Christopher J. White
From: Christopher J. White @ 2003-02-13  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>>>> "irving" == Irving Kimura <irving_kimura@lycos.com> writes:

irving> Every once in a while, while working in Emacs, I do
irving> *something* (I don't know what) that turns off
irving> case-fold-search in all buffers.  After this point, all
irving> searches respect case, even if I reset case-fold-search to t.

How did you "reset" it to t?  Using setq won't work because the
variable is buffer-local, meaning when you set it, the new
value only takes effect for the current buffer.  I think
the following should work though:

  (set-default 'case-fold-search t)

No clue how you got into this state...

...cj

 Christopher J. White                                    chris@grierwhite.com

@ 2003-02-13 17:38 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-02-13 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Irving Kimura wrote:

> Every once in a while, while working in Emacs, I do *something* (I
> don't know what) that turns off case-fold-search in all buffers.
> After this point, all searches respect case, even if I reset
> case-fold-search to t.  The only way I've found to get out of this
> mess is to kill and restart Emacs.  Has anybody seen this behavior?
> If so, is there a better way to regain case-fold searching than
> restarting?

Check the value of isearch-case-fold-search, which is global.

Perhaps you have isearch-toggle-case-fold bound to a key (check
isearch-mode-map).

--

@ 2003-02-14 21:45 ` Alan Mackenzie
From: Alan Mackenzie @ 2003-02-14 21:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Irving Kimura <irving_kimura@lycos.com> wrote on Wed, 12 Feb 2003
19:09:55 +0000 (UTC):

> Every once in a while, while working in Emacs, I do *something* (I
> don't know what) that turns off case-fold-search in all buffers.  After
> this point, all searches respect case, even if I reset case-fold-search
> to t.  The only way I've found to get out of this mess is to kill and
> restart Emacs.  Has anybody seen this behavior?  If so, is there a
> better way to regain case-fold searching than restarting?

I know it doesn't solve the problem, but you can use M-c within a search
to toggle case-foldigkeit.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter