all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* ido: how to recall previous input?
@ 2003-02-02 14:15 Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-02 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Let's say I want to create two directories, /foo/bar and /foo/baz.
With the normal prompting, I do M-x make-directory RET /foo/bar RET,
then M-x make-directory RET again, then M-p to recall previous input,
then delete the trailing r and replace it with z.

I haven't found out how to do the M-p thing (or something similar to
it) with ido.

(Ido has its own binding for M-p and I have no idea what that does
:-)  I've done C-h f on it, and I've tried it, but still, no idea.)
--
A turnip curses Elvis

* Re: ido: how to recall previous input?
@ 2003-02-02 16:24 ` Romain FRANCOISE
From: Romain FRANCOISE @ 2003-02-02 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Let's say I want to create two directories, /foo/bar and /foo/baz.
> With the normal prompting, I do M-x make-directory RET /foo/bar RET,
> then M-x make-directory RET again, then M-p to recall previous input,
> then delete the trailing r and replace it with z.

Use C-e to fall back into the regular interface, this way you'll have
the minibuffer history.  And the second time, you can then use M-p to
have the previous input.

--
Romain FRANCOISE <romain@orebokech.com> | I used to think there is no
it's a miracle -- http://orebokech.com/ | future left at all.

* Re: ido: how to recall previous input?
@ 2003-02-03 17:35 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-02-03 17:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> then M-x make-directory RET again,

`M-x M-p RET' works for me.

--

* Re: ido: how to recall previous input?
@ 2003-02-04 16:36   ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-02-04 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.rodgers@ihs.com> writes:

> Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>> then M-x make-directory RET again,
>
> `M-x M-p RET' works for me.

That recalls the last command, which was make-directory.  But I
wanted to recall the last directory, which was /foo/bar.

(I think that ido isn't active after M-x anyway, that's just regular
completion.)
--

@ 2003-02-04 19:07     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2003-02-04 19:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.rodgers@ihs.com> writes:
>>Kai Großjohann wrote:
>>>then M-x make-directory RET again,
>>>
>>`M-x M-p RET' works for me.
>
> That recalls the last command, which was make-directory.  But I
> wanted to recall the last directory, which was /foo/bar.

I know, but before you recall the directory argument, you recalled the command

because you wanted to execute it again.  My point was just that you didn't have
to type `M-x make-directory RET' again.

The other alternative is to recall the command and its argument with `C-x M-:',

then edit the argument.

> (I think that ido isn't active after M-x anyway, that's just regular
> completion.)

I don't understand what completion or ido have to do with recalling a previous
command or argument.