all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* xmodmap
@ 2003-01-22  0:53 Paul O'Donnell
From: Paul O'Donnell @ 2003-01-22  0:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi All,

I am trying to use the xmodmap untility to reconfigure my keyboard, but
I am not having success. As it is

keycode 115 = Super_L
keycode 117 = Menu

I want to changes these to be Alt_L and Alt_R respectively. So I did the
following at the command prompt.

[paul@cpe024350002546 paul]$ xmodmap -e "keycode 115 = Alt_L"

[paul@cpe024350002546 paul]$ xmodmap -e "keycode 117 = Alt_R"

When I test these changes with xmodmap -pk I can see that it has been
changed. Below is the relevant output from xmodmap -pk

    KeyCode     Keysym (Keysym) ...
     Value       Value   (Name)  ...

    115         0xffe9 (Alt_L)
    117         0xffea (Alt_R)

Then I go into emacs to test by trying M-v but it does not work. I have
been trying to solve this on my own by reading man xmodmap, but I am
confused. I think the problem is that I don't know how to interpret the
output of xmodmap -pm which is as follows:

[paul@cpe024350002546 paul]$ xmodmap -pm
xmodmap:  up to 2 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):

shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
control     Control_L (0x25),  Control_R (0x6d)
mod1        Alt_L (0x40),  Alt_R (0x71)
mod2        Num_Lock (0x4d)
mod3
mod4        Alt_L (0x73),  Super_R (0x74)
mod5        Scroll_Lock (0x4e)

[paul@cpe024350002546 paul]$

Any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul