all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* keyboard macros under emacs 21
@ 2003-01-13 18:18 rick pim
From: rick pim @ 2003-01-13 18:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

i'm using emacs 21.2 under solaris 8. if i "write" a keyboard macro to
modify a line in a file and then execute it many times for every line
in a large file, emacs 21 displays the progress of the macro execution
on the screen. if the file is large enough, the screen redisplay can
slow down the overall execution of the macro.

this represents a change from emacs 20.  i've checked the docs, faq
and changelog and i can't figure out how to re-create the emacs
20 behavior.

how does one define (or call) a keyboard macro so that it doesn't
"replay" every action if executed a number of times?

rick pim
queen's university

* Re: keyboard macros under emacs 21
@ 2003-01-14 22:35 ` Dick Schofield
From: Dick Schofield @ 2003-01-14 22:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

rick pim wrote:
> i'm using emacs 21.2 under solaris 8. if i "write" a keyboard macro to
> modify a line in a file and then execute it many times for every line
> in a large file, emacs 21 displays the progress of the macro execution
> on the screen. if the file is large enough, the screen redisplay can
> slow down the overall execution of the macro.
>
> this represents a change from emacs 20.  i've checked the docs, faq
> and changelog and i can't figure out how to re-create the emacs
> 20 behavior.
>
> how does one define (or call) a keyboard macro so that it doesn't
> "replay" every action if executed a number of times?
>
> rick pim
> queen's university

I, too, see this behavior with the Win32 version of emacs 21.1
and hope someone will post a response and workaround.

Dick

* Re: keyboard macros under emacs 21
@ 2003-01-15  6:45   ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-01-15  6:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: Dick Schofield <Dick.Schofield@invalid.mediaone.net>
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 22:35:00 GMT
> >
> > this represents a change from emacs 20.  i've checked the docs, faq
> > and changelog and i can't figure out how to re-create the emacs
> > 20 behavior.
> >
> > how does one define (or call) a keyboard macro so that it doesn't
> > "replay" every action if executed a number of times?
>
> I, too, see this behavior with the Win32 version of emacs 21.1
> and hope someone will post a response and workaround.

I think this is a known misfeature that should be corrected in a
future release, perhaps even in the very next one.