all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Using commands in Emacs
@ 2011-11-03 14:55 Alexandros Stefanidis
From: Alexandros Stefanidis @ 2011-11-03 14:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Emacs Help

Hi. I have open a file in Emacs called Insertion_sort_in_C.c.
I have found some commands in the web such as C-x 2 (split Emacs screen).
In Emacs under the 'Tools' option I have selected the 'Shell command' feature.
Now at the bottom of emacs window a command line prompt is awaiting for a command.
In this prompt I typed 'C-x 2' but the reply was '/bin/bash: C-x: command not found'
I typed as well the 'M-x gdb' command to initiate the debugger but '/bin/bash: M-x: command not found' came up
Then I run the debugger by the 'Tools' tab and the (gdb) prompt came  up. I typed 'break 11' to enter a
breakpoint in line 11 of Insertion_sort_in_C.c but warning: 'No symbol table is loaded.  Use the "file" command' came up.

I also thought that when the debugger is running I could left-click in the fringe so that a red disk
appears (a breakpoint). But nothing happens.

Is there anything wrong with Emacs/gdb?

Alexandros

[-- Attachment #2: Screenshot at 2011-11-03 163416.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 66610 bytes --]

* Re: Using commands in Emacs
@ 2011-11-03 17:24 ` max.le.libertaire
From: max.le.libertaire @ 2011-11-03 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandros Stefanidis; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

C-x 2 mean you have to press the keys [CONTROL] + [x] and then [2] and the
window will split immediately.
M-x mean [ALT] + [x] and is a way to (for instance) call a command like
"shell-command" (the same you invoke from the tool menu).
And there is also a command you must try in emacs, it is C-h t ( [Control]
+ [h] + [t] )

Sorry if i don't understand correctly your message or if i made some
mistake but i'm not a native english speaker.
++

> Hi. I have open a file in Emacs called Insertion_sort_in_C.c.
> I have found some commands in the web such as C-x 2 (split Emacs screen).
> In Emacs under the 'Tools' option I have selected the 'Shell command'
> feature.
> Now at the bottom of emacs window a command line prompt is awaiting for a
> command.
> In this prompt I typed 'C-x 2' but the reply was '/bin/bash: C-x: command
> not found'
> I typed as well the 'M-x gdb' command to initiate the debugger but
> '/bin/bash: M-x: command not found' came up
> Then I run the debugger by the 'Tools' tab and the (gdb) prompt came  up.
> I typed 'break 11' to enter a
> breakpoint in line 11 of Insertion_sort_in_C.c but warning: 'No symbol
> table is loaded.  Use the "file" command' came up.
>
> I also thought that when the debugger is running I could left-click in the
> fringe so that a red disk
> appears (a breakpoint). But nothing happens.
>
> Is there anything wrong with Emacs/gdb?
>
> Alexandros

* Re: Using commands in Emacs
@ 2011-11-03 20:44 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-11-03 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexandros Stefanidis; +Cc: GNU Emacs Help

Am 03.11.2011 um 15:55 schrieb Alexandros Stefanidis:

> Is there anything wrong with Emacs/gdb?

No, it's more with you. The "Shell command: " prompt awaits shell commands, while 'C-x 2' or 'M-x gdb' are GNU Emacs commands that you can (start to) input anywhere (except the "Shell command: " prompt) in GNU Emacs.

The tutorial, C-h t, should make a few things clear, C-h i can lead you to the documentation of GDB inside the Emacs "node" or GNU Emacs documentation. See also "GUD", the Grand Unified Debugger.

--
Greetings

  Pete

With Capitalism man exploits man. With communism it's the exact opposite.