all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Subject: Re: No 3d modeline
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 10:36:45 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 31.10.2006 um 02:24 schrieb Chris Menzel:

> Would you be so kind as to tell me what the relevant
> configure option is for libXaw3d?

./configure --help should provide all necessary pointers. In case of
libXaw3d nothing is needed, i.e. not choosing motif or gtk (or carbon
or ns), except that the library has to be found during the configure
stage. At its end some general findings are reported.

> I tried "lucid" but still had the 2d modeline.

This is meant to create an old and very pleasing look&feel. It's
synonymous with athena, i.e. it uses libXaw for buttons, menus, and
scroll-bars, or libXaw3d if this library *and* its header files are
found.

>   Also, should this fix the problem of the last line in the
> buffer window overwriting the modeline when I scroll down?

Certainly not. You should investigate this phenomenon, best when you
launch GNU Emacs with -Q, i.e. without your customisation (which
might introduce errors). There are also X resources that have an
impact on Emacs' look. Particularly when using GTK you have a special
editor to set so many details that after some weeks you can ask
yourself: what real work have I done?

--
Greetings

   Pete