all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* text highlighting
@ 2002-12-19 18:28 Mariusz Pagowski
From: Mariusz Pagowski @ 2002-12-19 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I recently upgraded to RH7.3 which comes with emacs 20.7.
I am used to my previous emacs setting and don't like
what  emacs does now when I do search/replacements, namely it
highlights all matches with colors almost making the screen  look like a
rainbow (ie. emacs -nw). How to change settings to remove the
highlighting?
Thanks,
Mariusz

* Re: text highlighting
@ 2002-12-19 18:39 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2002-12-19 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mariusz Pagowski <Mariusz.Pagowski@noaa.gov> writes:

> Hi,
> I recently upgraded to RH7.3 which comes with emacs 20.7.
> I am used to my previous emacs setting and don't like
> what  emacs does now when I do search/replacements, namely it
> highlights all matches with colors almost making the screen  look like a
> rainbow (ie. emacs -nw). How to change settings to remove the
> highlighting?

Read the NEWS file (probably with C-h N) for changes, and what to do
about them.  In the current CVS, I have found the following info
which might not necessarily apply to your case since your Emacs is so
very much older (so you probably want to read up on this in your NEWS
file):

*** There is a new lazy highlighting feature in incremental search.

Lazy highlighting is switched on/off by customizing variable
`isearch-lazy-highlight'.  When active, all matches for the current
search string are highlighted.  The current match is highlighted as
before using face `isearch' or `region'.  All other matches are
highlighted using face `isearch-lazy-highlight-face' which defaults to
`secondary-selection'.

The extra highlighting makes it easier to anticipate where the cursor
will end up each time you press C-s or C-r to repeat a pending search.
Highlighting of these additional matches happens in a deferred fashion
using "idle timers," so the cycles needed do not rob isearch of its
usual snappy response.

If `isearch-lazy-highlight-cleanup' is set to t, highlights for
matches are automatically cleared when you end the search.  If it is
set to nil, you can remove the highlights manually with `M-x

@ 2002-12-20 23:32 ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-12-20 23:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Mariusz Pagowski <Mariusz.Pagowski@noaa.gov> writes:
> I recently upgraded to RH7.3 which comes with emacs 20.7.
> I am used to my previous emacs setting and don't like
> what  emacs does now when I do search/replacements, namely it
> highlights all matches with colors almost making the screen  look like a
> rainbow (ie. emacs -nw). How to change settings to remove the
> highlighting?

Incidentally, you might just try changing the face is uses to highlight
the `secondary' matches, so it's less intrusive.  You can customize the
group (`M-x customize-group') `isearch-faces' to change them.

[I think that the default isearch faces are pretty horrible, but the
feature itself is very useful]

-Miles
--
Saa, shall we dance?  (from a dance-class advertisement)

* xemacs     doprnt.c
@ 2002-12-21  4:00   ` Tribhuvan
From: Tribhuvan @ 2002-12-21  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm compiling xemacs (based on emacs 21.1.14)
and "make" quits with:

doprnt.c:795: first argument to `va_arg' not of type `va_list'

same error using either cc or gcc
with gnu make
I know there was some problem earlier with the va_arg type as
(char vs. int) but I thought that was patched by 21.1.
Is this some other problem or do I need a patch?

btw: The xemacs source I'm using is the one distributed by
Sun (the "community source" to their latest release of
"Sun ONE Studio 4")

  XEmacs 21.1.14 "Cuyahoga Valley"