all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Input-method documentation - where?
@ 2002-12-11  6:44 David Lee Lambert
From: David Lee Lambert @ 2002-12-11  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a problem that may be best handled by a different input-method:  I
want to set up Emacs so that I just have to touch the keys F9-F12 with
various Ctrl-, Shift- and Alt-combinations in order to enter the accented
characters (all in Latin-1) that I would use to type German and Spanish.
However,  input-method writing is not documented in the Emacs Lisp manual.
Can anyone describe how to do it?

Alternately,  could someone give hints on how to write a short LISP
function that binds to a key and inserts a fixed string at the point?
Working one-line code would be most useful.

--
DLL
http://www.cse.msu.edu/~lamber45/

* Re: Input-method documentation - where?
@ 2002-12-11 14:58 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-12-11 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Lee Lambert wrote:

> Alternately,  could someone give hints on how to write a short LISP
> function that binds to a key and inserts a fixed string at the point?
> Working one-line code would be most useful.

(defun insert-fixed-string ()
   "Insert \"fixed string\" at point."
   (interactive)
   (insert "fixed string"))

(global-set-key [f9] 'insert-fixed-string)