all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* nnir.el?
@ 2002-11-16  3:24 Don McAllaster
From: Don McAllaster @ 2002-11-16  3:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I've tried to get it from
ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de/pub/src/emacs/nnir.el, but I've been
timed out maybe twenty straight times in the last week. Is the server
just real busy, or is it broken? Is there another place to get nnir.el
from?

--
Don McAllaster
Shrewsbury, Mass.

* Re: nnir.el?
@ 2002-11-16 15:50 ` Murali
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1037538908.21934.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Murali @ 2002-11-16 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

May be this is what you need...
http://www-ftp.lip6.fr/pub/emacs/elisp-archive/incoming/nnir.el.gz

- Murali.

"Don McAllaster" <dmcallaster@townisp.com> wrote in message
> I've tried to get it from
> ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de/pub/src/emacs/nnir.el, but I've been
> timed out maybe twenty straight times in the last week. Is the server
> just real busy, or is it broken? Is there another place to get nnir.el
> from?
>
> --
> Don McAllaster
> Shrewsbury, Mass.

* Re: nnir.el?
@ 2002-11-16 16:36 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-16 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Don McAllaster <dmcallaster@townisp.com> writes:

> I've tried to get it from
> ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de/pub/src/emacs/nnir.el,

The server does not support passive ftp, only active ftp.  Don't
ask...  Argh.

kai

* LISP's TCP/IP options.
@ 2002-11-17 13:20   ` Gurucharan
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1037538908.21934.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Gurucharan @ 2002-11-17 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello *.*,
          I had a question related to the TCP/IP support in LISP.

Can we make use of a socket in LISP by :
(a) Embedding a C executable in the LISP
(b) Embedding a C function in LISP
(c) Using the LISP provided sockets (if any)

Are these the ONLY THREE options that the LISP
programmer can choose from ?
Is there any other alternative which you have used or
experimented with ?

The major concern is making use of the system
(primary)memory resources.

Also, are there any
(1) Code samples
      or
(2) Reference Web Sites
that you can share which would help me a lot.

Thanks in advance.

Warm Regards,
                gurucharan

[-- Attachment #2: Wipro_Disclaimer.txt --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Size: 522 bytes --]

**************************Disclaimer**************************************************

 Information contained in this E-MAIL being proprietary to Wipro Limited is 'privileged'
and 'confidential' and intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is
addressed. You are notified that any use, copying or dissemination of the information
contained in the E-MAIL in any manner whatsoever is strictly prohibited.

* Re: LISP's TCP/IP options.
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1037538908.21934.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-17 15:00     ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-11-17 15:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Gurucharan <gurucharan.murudeshwar@wipro.com> writes:

>           I had a question related to the TCP/IP support in LISP.
>
> Can we make use of a socket in LISP by :
> (a) Embedding a C executable in the LISP
> (b) Embedding a C function in LISP
> (c) Using the LISP provided sockets (if any)

Are you asking about

* the flavour of Lisp used as an extension language in Emacs or
* Lisp in general?

If you question isn't Emacs specific the news group
<news:comp.lang.lisp> is a much better place to ask.

> Also, are there any
> (2) Reference Web Sites

You could try:

<http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Networking>
<http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net/sockets.html>

* Re: LISP's TCP/IP options.
@ 2002-11-18  4:05       ` Gurucharan
From: Gurucharan @ 2002-11-18  4:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Jesper,

> >           I had a question related to the TCP/IP support in LISP.
> >
> > Can we make use of a socket in LISP by :
> > (a) Embedding a C executable in the LISP
> > (b) Embedding a C function in LISP
> > (c) Using the LISP provided sockets (if any)
>
> Are you asking about
>
> * the flavour of Lisp used as an extension language in Emacs or
> * Lisp in general?
>
> If you question isn't Emacs specific the news group
> <news:comp.lang.lisp> is a much better place to ask.
>
> > Also, are there any
> > (2) Reference Web Sites
>
> You could try:
>
> <http://ww.telent.net/cliki/Networking>
> <http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net/sockets.html>

Thanks a lot.

I will check and get back to you.

@ 2002-11-18 20:41 ` Eric Eide
From: Eric Eide @ 2002-11-18 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Don" == Don McAllaster <dmcallaster@townisp.com> writes:

	Don> I've tried to get it from
	Don> ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de/pub/src/emacs/nnir.el, but I've
	Don> been timed out maybe twenty straight times in the last week. Is
	Don> the server just real busy, or is it broken?

I downloaded `nnir.el' last week --- but I couldn't, until I told my FTP client
not to go into passive mode.  Perhaps this is your problem as well?

Eric.

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>  .         University of Utah School of Computing
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/ . +1 (801) 585-5512 voice, +1 (801) 581-5843 FAX

* Re: nnir.el?
@ 2002-11-19  0:06   ` Don McAllaster
From: Don McAllaster @ 2002-11-19  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu> writes:

> "Don" == Don McAllaster <dmcallaster@townisp.com> writes:
>
> 	Don> I've tried to get it from
> 	Don> ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de/pub/src/emacs/nnir.el,
> 	Don> but I've been timed out maybe twenty straight times in
> 	Don> the last week. Is the server just real busy, or is it
> 	Don> broken?
>
> I downloaded `nnir.el' last week --- but I couldn't, until I told my
> FTP client not to go into passive mode.  Perhaps this is your
> problem as well?
>
> Eric.

Yes, thanks. In case anyone else is having the problem, here's what I
did:

$ ncftp
*ncftp* set passive 0
*ncftp* open ftp://ls6-ftp.cs.uni-dortmund.de
*ncftp* cd pub/src/emacs
*ncftp* get nnir.el
*ncftp* quit

But note that at work today, behind a fancy-schmancy firewall, this
did not work. Had to do it from home.

--
Don McAllaster
Shrewsbury, Mass.