all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Clearing eshell screen
@ 2002-10-24 20:06 Timur Aydin
From: Timur Aydin @ 2002-10-24 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody,

How can I clear the eshell screen? A real clear though, not something
like the unix shells, where typing clear just scrolls the screen
upwards (kinda like sweeping the dirt under the carpet).

--
Timur

* Re: Clearing eshell screen
@ 2002-10-24 23:18 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-10-24 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Timur Aydin wrote:

> How can I clear the eshell screen? A real clear though, not something
> like the unix shells, where typing clear just scrolls the screen
> upwards (kinda like sweeping the dirt under the carpet).

M-x erase-buffer RET

--

* Re: Clearing eshell screen
@ 2002-10-24 23:38   ` Oscar Fuentes
From: Oscar Fuentes @ 2002-10-24 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com> writes:

> Timur Aydin wrote:
>
> > How can I clear the eshell screen? A real clear though, not something
> > like the unix shells, where typing clear just scrolls the screen
> > upwards (kinda like sweeping the dirt under the carpet).
>

> M-x erase-buffer RET

--- Emacs output

You have invoked the disabled command erase-buffer:
Delete the entire contents of the current buffer.
Any narrowing restriction in effect (see `narrow-to-region') is removed,
so the buffer is truly empty after this.

You can now type
Space to try the command just this once, but leave it disabled,
Y to try it and enable it (no questions if you use it again),
! to try it and enable all commands in this session, or
N to do nothing (command remains disabled).

<SPC pressed>

Text is read-only

<Buffer remains unaffected>

---- End of Emacs output

So far, the only way I know of discarding the eshell buffer contents
is exiting. For me (Emacs 21.1.1 on Win2k and Linux) eshell doesn't
honor the eshell-buffer-maximum-lines variable either, which is
dangerous, as some commands (ex. a gcc bootstrap) outputs tons of
text. Eventually, you end with an eshell buffer using several
megabytes of memory.

--
Oscar

* Re: Clearing eshell screen
@ 2002-10-24 23:59     ` Oscar Fuentes
From: Oscar Fuentes @ 2002-10-24 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

Oscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

[snip]
> For me (Emacs 21.1.1 on Win2k and Linux) eshell doesn't
> honor the eshell-buffer-maximum-lines variable either
[snip]

Ooops! As the documentation says, adding 'eshell-truncate-buffer' to
'eshell-output-filter-functions' does the trick. Sorry.

Maybe this modification of 'eshell-truncate-buffer' is useful for the
OP:

(defun eshell-clears-buffer ()
  "Deletes the contents of eshell buffer, except the last prompt"
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (goto-char eshell-last-output-end)
    (let ((lines (count-lines 1 (point)))