all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>
Subject: Re: cygwin/emacs remaps C-h
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 12:30:21 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, 14 Oct 2002, Tom Roche wrote:
 >> C-h is mapped to DEL in both X and -nox.

So as a result I see (out-of-the-box)

* Backspace removes character to left of mark

* Delete removes character under mark

* C-h removes character to left of mark

 >> Is there any way to restore it to its normal help-command role
 >> (without also screwing up Backspace and Delete)? I.e. make C-h,
 >> Backspace, and Delete works in Cygwin the way they do in "normal"
 >> NT emacs.

which is:

* Backspace removes character to left of mark

* Delete removes character under mark

* C-h prefixes help commands

Eli Zaretskii Tue, 15 Oct 2002 08:19:00 +0200
 > Does the function normal-erase-is-backspace-mode help?

Well, with that

* Backspace prefixes help commands

* Delete removes character under mark

* C-h prefixes help commands

So I'm still only 2/3rds of the way there. How to make Backspace
remove the character left of mark?

Fredrik Staxeng 15 Oct 2002 12:30:13 +0200
 > The backspace key should send ^? to the application running in
 > cygwin window. Complain to the cygwin people, they ought to know
 > better. Ask for xterm as the emulation while you at it, not yet
 > another stupid emulator specific type.

Does anyone know how I might configure this? Backspace is now the only
aberrant key (in normal-erase-is-backspace-mode).

"Kris Thielemans" Tue, 15 Oct 2002 11:04:39
 > does that mean you've sorted out the terminal problem then? (I
 > didn't have any problems are doing the CYGWIN and TERM stuff)

Yes, but it didn't work until after I installed emacs-X11!

 > by the way, if you don't have a /usr/lib (as you mentioned), there's
 > something very wrong with your installation! For example, your
 > package list mentions

 >  > libiconv2           1.8-2
 >  > libintl1            0.10.40-1
 >  > libintl2            0.11.5-1
 >  > libncurses5         5.2-1
 >  > libncurses6         5.2-8
 >  > libreadline4        4.1-2
 >  > libreadline5        4.3-2

 > these should all be in /usr/lib (which is actually the same as /lib
 > due to your mount points)

Hmm. I should probably try reinstalling. I did not delete my old
cygwin (1.3.10) install before putting the new one on--perhaps that
causes problems? Perhaps I should

* nuke all my cygwins

* install emacs-X11

 > note that C-h does work if you launch emacs from an xterm

No, C-h was wrong for me "out of the box" after installing (and using)
emacs-X11.

 > (or use the X version).

I'll try that. XWin comes up, now I need to learn how to set it up.