all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: terminal-mode cygwin/emacs problem
@ 2002-10-15  1:28 Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2002-10-15  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Roche wrote:
 >> I get the same message for 'emacs -nw'? What do I need to tell
 >> emacs? or cygwin? or both?

Joe Buehler replied:
 > Make sure terminfo is installed -- there should be a file
 > /usr/lib/terminfo/c/cygwin.

Well, I tried reinstalling terminfo, and now

 > $ find / -name '*terminfo*'
 > /etc/setup/terminfo.lst.gz
 > /lib/terminfo
 > /usr/doc/Cygwin/terminfo-5.2.README
 > /usr/doc/terminfo-5.2
 > /usr/share/terminfo

and emacs runs! However the display not quite right: when emacs
starts up, the display is usually shifted either down a line or
to the right a column from where it should be, with extraneous
characters showing in either the minibuffer, or the top of the
display (first line under windows titlebar) or both.

Joe Buehler replied:
 > note that there is a separate package for X11 emacs. If you
 > don't install it, all you get from the "emacs" package is the
 > usual terminal-mode emacs.

So I tried installing emacs-X11: it also works, but it shares the
same display-shifting defect as emacs-nox.

How can I fix this? Alternately, is there a better way to report
the problem (e.g. a bugzilla)?

But for anyone else who gets the "Terminal type" error: try
reinstalling.

* Re: terminal-mode cygwin/emacs problem
       [not found] <mailman.1034645364.22672.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-15  1:41 ` Henrik Enberg
From: Henrik Enberg @ 2002-10-15  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> writes:

> How can I fix this? Alternately, is there a better way to report
> the problem (e.g. a bugzilla)?

M-x report-emacs-bug RET

--
Booting... /vmemacs.el

* Re: terminal-mode cygwin/emacs problem
@ 2002-10-15 20:38 ` Joe Buehler
From: Joe Buehler @ 2002-10-15 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs, help-emacs-windows

Tom Roche wrote:

> and emacs runs! However the display not quite right: when emacs
> starts up, the display is usually shifted either down a line or
> to the right a column from where it should be, with extraneous
> characters showing in either the minibuffer, or the top of the
> display (first line under windows titlebar) or both.

Sound like the wrong setting for TERM.  Try vt100 or ansi
and see how it goes.  What kind of window are you running
emacs in?  A bash window?  A DOS box?

> So I tried installing emacs-X11: it also works, but it shares the
> same display-shifting defect as emacs-nox.

It won't if you run it using X11 mode and an X server.

Joe Buehler