all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* disturbing link
@ 2002-10-07 22:37 Trilobit
From: Trilobit @ 2002-10-07 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

if you cange the contents of an file(example: bla.txt) with Emacs
(running under linux) and don't save it
Emacs generates a link:

$>ls -l
lrwxrwxrwx    1 Trilobit    Trilobit          36  8. Okt 00:16 .#bla.txt
-> Trilobit@***.tu-dresden.de.932
-rw-r--r--    1 Trilobit    Trilobit           0  8. Okt 00:16 bla.txt

this link is removed after the file is saved, but newly createt after a
new change of the content, that's  quite disturbing.

Is there any option to tell Emacs never to create this link, or at least
to create it in another directory?
(the "autosave" option and the "make backup" option are already swtiched
off, with no result ;-( )

Thx for your help,
Mario

ps: this email-adress does not work, because I don't like spam

* Re: disturbing link
@ 2002-10-08  0:12 ` Barry Margolin
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-10-08  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3DA20CA2.2090608@gmx.net>, Trilobit  <trilobot@gmx.net> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>if you cange the contents of an file(example: bla.txt) with Emacs
>(running under linux) and don't save it
>Emacs generates a link:
>
>$>ls -l
>lrwxrwxrwx    1 Trilobit    Trilobit          36  8. Okt 00:16 .#bla.txt
>-> Trilobit@***.tu-dresden.de.932
>-rw-r--r--    1 Trilobit    Trilobit           0  8. Okt 00:16 bla.txt
>
>this link is removed after the file is saved, but newly createt after a
>new change of the content, that's  quite disturbing.
>
>Is there any option to tell Emacs never to create this link, or at least
>to create it in another directory?
>(the "autosave" option and the "make backup" option are already swtiched
>off, with no result ;-( )

That's the auto-save file, so I think you didn't properly turn off
auto-save.

Note that (auto-save-mode nil) only turns off auto-save of the current
buffer, not all buffers.  If you want auto-save off by default in all
buffers, set auto-save-default to nil.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

* Re: disturbing link
@ 2002-10-08 12:01   ` Trilobit
From: Trilobit @ 2002-10-08 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <3DA20CA2.2090608@gmx.net>, Trilobit  <trilobot@gmx.net> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>if you cange the contents of an file(example: bla.txt) with Emacs
>>(running under linux) and don't save it
>>Emacs generates a link:
>>
>>$>ls -l
>>lrwxrwxrwx    1 Trilobit    Trilobit          36  8. Okt 00:16 .#bla.txt
>>-> Trilobit@***.tu-dresden.de.932
>>-rw-r--r--    1 Trilobit    Trilobit           0  8. Okt 00:16 bla.txt
>>
>>this link is removed after the file is saved, but newly createt after a
>>new change of the content, that's  quite disturbing.
>>
>>Is there any option to tell Emacs never to create this link, or at least
>>to create it in another directory?
>>(the "autosave" option and the "make backup" option are already swtiched
>>off, with no result ;-( )
>

> That's the auto-save file, so I think you didn't properly turn off
> auto-save.
>
> Note that (auto-save-mode nil) only turns off auto-save of the current
> buffer, not all buffers.  If you want auto-save off by default in all
> buffers, set auto-save-default to nil.

I don't believe that that could be the autosave file,
because it is just a link, it is ever 37 bytes in size no matter how big
the textfile is (it's just a link ...)
I've set the option like you said, it does not matter (I've had it set
before ...).
It's something else, but I do not now what it could be.
Has somebody any idea what that link could be and how to get rid of it?

* Re: disturbing link
@ 2002-10-08 12:30     ` Trilobit
From: Trilobit @ 2002-10-08 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trilobit wrote:
>> In article <3DA20CA2.2090608@gmx.net>, Trilobit  <trilobot@gmx.net>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> if you cange the contents of an file(example: bla.txt) with Emacs
>>> (running under linux) and don't save it
>>> Emacs generates a link:
>>>
>>> $>ls -l
>>> lrwxrwxrwx    1 Trilobit    Trilobit          36  8. Okt 00:16
>>> .#bla.txt -> Trilobit@***.tu-dresden.de.932
>>> -rw-r--r--    1 Trilobit    Trilobit           0  8. Okt 00:16 bla.txt
>>>
>>> this link is removed after the file is saved, but newly createt after
>>> a new change of the content, that's  quite disturbing.
>>>
>>> Is there any option to tell Emacs never to create this link, or at
>>> least to create it in another directory?
>>> (the "autosave" option and the "make backup" option are already
>>> swtiched off, with no result ;-( )

I found out that this link is a lockfile, it prevents editing of the
same file with another emacs.
Is it possible to tell emacs to generate all those files in an special
directory and not in the same directory where the original file is?
for example in /tmp/emacs_lock_files?

* Re: disturbing link
@ 2002-10-08 13:42       ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-10-08 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Is it possible to tell emacs to generate all those files in an special
> directory and not in the same directory where the original file is?
> for example in /tmp/emacs_lock_files?

I don't think so.  That's how it used to work, but it has the disadvantage
that this /tmp directory might not be available at the same places as your
file is (if your file is NFS shared for example).

What exactly is your problem with those locks (other than esthetic) ?

* Re: disturbing link
@ 2002-10-09  6:42 ` Tim Cross
From: Tim Cross @ 2002-10-09  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trilobit <trilobot@gmx.net> writes:

> Hi,
>
> if you cange the contents of an file(example: bla.txt) with Emacs
> (running under linux) and don't save it
> Emacs generates a link:

Just wondering what it is you find disturbing about this?

Tim
---
find / -iname microsoft -exec rm -rf {} \;

* Re: disturbing link
@ 2002-10-09 10:03 ` Trilobit
From: Trilobit @ 2002-10-09 10:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

disturbing is for example that my filemanager crashes if the directory
with the this special link in it. It's not the stablest one, indeed. ;-(
I know this is no problem with emacs, but i like this filemanager(I've
searched long to find it), it's a bit more comfortable than the pure
shell. :-)
And if I'm using the shell it's disturbing because I often have many
files open and not saved in the same dir,
it tooks a while to catch the right one with all those weird names ...

The link is useful, no doubt, but I don't shrae/edit any files on nfs,so
id like do tweak this feature a bit.
Is there a posibiltiy to do that anyhow, or not?

thx

* Re: disturbing link
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2002-10-09 13:44 ` Alan Shutko
From: Alan Shutko @ 2002-10-09 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trilobit <trilobot@gmx.net> writes:

> this link is removed after the file is saved, but newly createt after
> a new change of the content, that's  quite disturbing.

That link is a lock file to indicate to other instances of Emacs that
the file is being edited.  Check out the "Interlocking" node of the
Emacs manual.

I don't know of any way offhand to disable it.

Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show.

* Re: disturbing link
@ 2002-10-09 17:30   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-10-09 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Trilobit wrote:

> disturbing is for example that my filemanager crashes if the directory
> with the this special link in it. It's not the stablest one, indeed. ;-(
> I know this is no problem with emacs, but i like this filemanager(I've
> searched long to find it), it's a bit more comfortable than the pure
> shell. :-)

Then clearly you should be posting to foo.filemanager.help with a subject
of "unstable and disturbed file manager".

> And if I'm using the shell it's disturbing because I often have many
> files open and not saved in the same dir,
> it tooks a while to catch the right one with all those weird names ...

ls -l | grep -v ^l

> The link is useful, no doubt, but I don't shrae/edit any files on nfs,so
> id like do tweak this feature a bit.
> Is there a posibiltiy to do that anyhow, or not?

Revert to Emacs 19.