all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* aix startup file problem
@ 2002-10-03 18:07 Larry
From: Larry @ 2002-10-03 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have a problem with my emacs ever since they went to aix 4.3.3 here.

If I say "emacs myfile.txt"

The editor will start up but it won't go into the file myfile.txt
unless I
open the file again from inside the emacs window after startup, and
anytime I try to open a new file from the running emacs I have to open
the file twice as the first time it doesn't work. In all of these
cases I get an error on the first try where it says "Wrong type
argument: stringp, nil". I think it is something wrong with my startup
.emacs file. On another system I got a more meaningfull error message
for this same thing and from that I commented
out a hilit-install-line-hooks function in the start up file which it
refered to by name and from there it was fine, but the other machine
doesn't tell me what's wrong as I commented out the same thing there
but I still have the problem.

* Re: aix startup file problem
@ 2002-10-03 20:57 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-10-03 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

Larry wrote:

> I have a problem with my emacs ever since they went to aix 4.3.3 here.
>
> If I say "emacs myfile.txt"
>
> The editor will start up but it won't go into the file myfile.txt
> unless I
> open the file again from inside the emacs window after startup, and
> anytime I try to open a new file from the running emacs I have to open
> the file twice as the first time it doesn't work. In all of these
> cases I get an error on the first try where it says "Wrong type
> argument: stringp, nil". I think it is something wrong with my startup
> .emacs file. On another system I got a more meaningfull error message
> for this same thing and from that I commented
> out a hilit-install-line-hooks function in the start up file which it
> refered to by name and from there it was fine, but the other machine
> doesn't tell me what's wrong as I commented out the same thing there
> but I still have the problem.

Try `emacs --debug-init myfile.txt`.