all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* dedicated frames - not quite special-display
@ 2002-09-18 14:25 Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2002-09-18 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for something like the special-display function, but with
a twist.  I would like to dedicate a frame to a *list* of buffers
(preferably defined with a regexp), such that the frame can only
display those buffers.  An example would be a gnus-only frame, where
it could display all gnus buffers within it (and bbdb and ispell), but
not be able to switch to a java file.

Does such a creature exist?  Thanks!

--
Regards,

joe
Joe Casadonte
jcasadonte@northbound-train.com

         Llama Fresh Farms => http://www.northbound-train.com
   Gay Media Resource List => http://www.northbound-train.com/gaymedia.html
            Perl for Win32 => http://www.northbound-train.com/perlwin32.html
               Emacs Stuff => http://www.northbound-train.com/emacs.html
          Music CD Trading => http://www.northbound-train.com/cdr.html
                       Live Free, that's the message!

* Re: dedicated frames - not quite special-display
@ 2002-09-18 14:56 ` Michael Slass
From: Michael Slass @ 2002-09-18 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Joe Casadonte" <jcasadonte@northbound-train.com> writes:

>I'm looking for something like the special-display function, but with
>a twist.  I would like to dedicate a frame to a *list* of buffers
>(preferably defined with a regexp), such that the frame can only
>display those buffers.  An example would be a gnus-only frame, where
>it could display all gnus buffers within it (and bbdb and ispell), but
>not be able to switch to a java file.
>
>Does such a creature exist?  Thanks!

What a great idea!  I wonder if you could develop a framework based on
advising switch-to-buffer?  Before jumping in to this, I'd wait to see
if the gurus know of an easier way.

--
Mike Slass

* Re: dedicated frames - not quite special-display
@ 2002-09-18 15:16   ` Joe Casadonte
From: Joe Casadonte @ 2002-09-18 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002, Michael Slass wrote:

> What a great idea!  I wonder if you could develop a framework based
> on advising switch-to-buffer?  Before jumping in to this, I'd wait
> to see if the gurus know of an easier way.

That's my backup plan....

--

@ 2002-09-18 15:57   ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-09-18 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

>> I'm looking for something like the special-display function, but with
>> a twist.  I would like to dedicate a frame to a *list* of buffers
>> (preferably defined with a regexp), such that the frame can only
>> display those buffers.  An example would be a gnus-only frame, where
>> it could display all gnus buffers within it (and bbdb and ispell), but
>> not be able to switch to a java file.
>>
>> Does such a creature exist?  Thanks!
> What a great idea!  I wonder if you could develop a framework based on
> advising switch-to-buffer?  Before jumping in to this, I'd wait to see
> if the gurus know of an easier way.

I'd stay away from switch-to-buffer, personally.
Instead, I'd start with display-buffer-function.

* Re: dedicated frames - not quite special-display
@ 2002-09-18 18:06   ` FRC
From: FRC @ 2002-09-18 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

I like the idea too.
Windows that could not be modified would be nice too eg. to keep a one
fourth screen dedicated to eshell, which could not be buried/resized except
by some special cmd.
Maybe this one already exists ?

m3d6rbcpni.fsf@localhost.localdomain...

@ 2002-09-18 18:46 ` Matthias Meulien
From: Matthias Meulien @ 2002-09-18 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following works for me. All buffer with a name matching
`special-special-buffer-regexp' are displayed in a common frame.

(setq special-special-buffer-regexp "REGEXP")

(defun special-special-windowp (window)
  "Returns nil if and only if WINDOW displays a buffer whose name
doesn't match `special-special-buffer-regexp'."
  (let ((name (buffer-name (window-buffer window))))
    (string-match special-special-buffer-regexp name)))

(defun special-special-display-function (buffer &optional args)
  "Display BUFFER in its own frame, reusing an existing window
displaying a buffer whose name match `special-special-buffer-regexp'
if any."
  (let ((window (get-window-with-predicate 'special-special-windowp
					   nil t)))
    (if window
	(progn
	  (set-window-dedicated-p window nil)
	  (select-window window)
	  (switch-to-buffer buffer)
	  (set-window-dedicated-p window t))
      (special-display-popup-frame buffer args))))

(let ((list `(,special-special-buffer-regexp
	      special-special-display-function)))
  (add-to-list 'special-display-regexps list))
--
Matthias

* Re: dedicated frames - not quite special-display
@ 2002-09-18 18:54     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-09-18 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>>>I'm looking for something like the special-display function, but with
>>>a twist.  I would like to dedicate a frame to a *list* of buffers
>>>(preferably defined with a regexp), such that the frame can only
>>>display those buffers.  An example would be a gnus-only frame, where
>>>it could display all gnus buffers within it (and bbdb and ispell), but
>>>not be able to switch to a java file.
>>>
>>>Does such a creature exist?  Thanks!

Does dframe.el provide the functionality you want?  It's distributed with
speedbar at http://cedet.sourceforge.net/speedbar.shtml

>>What a great idea!  I wonder if you could develop a framework based on
>>advising switch-to-buffer?  Before jumping in to this, I'd wait to see
>>if the gurus know of an easier way.
>>

> I'd stay away from switch-to-buffer, personally.
> Instead, I'd start with display-buffer-function.

And set a user-defined frame parameter to the list of buffers the frame may

display?

--
Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com>