all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Two questions
@ 2002-09-09  7:54 Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-09  7:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

HI there !

I'm just playing around with my programming modes - I use them with both
emacs and xemacs. After exchanging the "*-mode.el" files it seems obvious
that xemacs' syntax highlighting is not configured there: emacs inherits
indention but doesn't do highlighting. It that xemacs-only or where do I
have to set this?

And is there an enhanced "auto-fill-mode" which doesn't just reformat a
single line but keeps an entire paragraph trimmed? This would be convenient
for editing plain text files.

TIA

Frank Winkler                                                frank@consol.de
ConSol GmbH
Franziskanerstr. 38                                   Voice +49 89 45841.180
81669 Munich - Germany                                  Fax +49 89 45841.199

* Re: Two questions
@ 2002-09-09  8:16 ` Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany
From: Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany @ 2002-09-09  8:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank> HI there !
Frank> I'm just playing around with my programming modes - I use them with both
Frank> emacs and xemacs. After exchanging the "*-mode.el" files it seems obvious
Frank> that xemacs' syntax highlighting is not configured there: emacs inherits
Frank> indention but doesn't do highlighting. It that xemacs-only or where do I
Frank> have to set this?

What kind of modes? Selfwritten? What modes? Identation configuration is not
done allways in the same way.

Both emacs and xemacs come along with support of all kinds of programming
modes.  Take a look at the info docs.

Frank> And is there an enhanced "auto-fill-mode" which doesn't just reformat a
Frank> single line but keeps an entire paragraph trimmed? This would be convenient
Frank> for editing plain text files.

For plain text files see "M-q". C-mode supports M-q for identing whole blocks
the right way.

ESC q runs the command fill-paragraph
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `textmodes/fill'.
(fill-paragraph ARG)

Fill paragraph at or after point.  Prefix ARG means justify as well.
If `sentence-end-double-space' is non-nil, then period followed by one
space does not end a sentence, so don't break a line there.
the variable `fill-column' controls the width for filling.

If `fill-paragraph-function' is non-nil, we call it (passing our
argument to it), and if it returns non-nil, we simply return its value.

If `fill-paragraph-function' is nil, return the `fill-prefix' used for
filling.

     Hth -- Peter

--
Consultant der CLASS AG   http://www.class.de
Professional Services

* Re: Two questions
@ 2002-09-09 17:33   ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-09 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:16:57 +0200, Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany
wrote:

 >What kind of modes? Selfwritten? What modes? Identation configuration is
 >not done allways in the same way.

At the moment, I'm talking about the default modes (C, Perl, etc.) and my
attempts to customize them. But I didn't find the code which recognizes the
commands and sets the colors; is this hard-coded?

 >> And is there an enhanced "auto-fill-mode" which doesn't just reformat
 >> a single line but keeps an entire paragraph trimmed? This would be
 >> convenient for editing plain text files.
 >
 >For plain text files see "M-q". C-mode supports M-q for identing whole
 >blocks the right way.
 >ESC q runs the command fill-paragraph
 >   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `textmodes/fill'.
 >(fill-paragraph ARG)

Cool stuff! :) Didn't know that - but is there a way to do this dynamically,
without explicitly triggering a command? The dumbest mail editor can do that
so I'm sure emacs can ...

 >Fill paragraph at or after point.  Prefix ARG means justify as well.
 >If `sentence-end-double-space' is non-nil, then period followed by one
 >space does not end a sentence, so don't break a line there.
 >the variable `fill-column' controls the width for filling.

I'll play a bit ...

Regards

@ 2002-09-09 22:53     ` Chuck Siska
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1031612047.20238.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Chuck Siska @ 2002-09-09 22:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank Winkler @home" wrote on Mon, 09 Sep 2002 19:33:20 +0200 (CEST):

> On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:16:57 +0200, Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany
> wrote:
>  >For plain text files see "M-q". C-mode supports M-q for identing whole
>  >blocks the right way.
>  >ESC q runs the command fill-paragraph
>  >   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `textmodes/fill'.
>  >(fill-paragraph ARG)
>
> Cool stuff! :) Didn't know that - but is there a way to do this dynamically,
> without explicitly triggering a command? The dumbest mail editor can do that
> so I'm sure emacs can ...

type M-x auto-fill-mode.  now, you're comments will auto-wrap when you type
a whitespace after the fill-column.  type C-u 7 2 C-x f, to set the fill-
column to 72.  good luck.

-- chuck
                                           |\_/\_.-'""``:-._
What is life without looking for           . . `; -._      )-;-,_`)
the next cute little bug to play with?     v_,-    _  ),(,.\  ``-'
                                          _.- _.,-_/ /  ((.'
-- chuck.siska@skyworksinc.com  `<}:..  ((,.-'   ((,/

* Re: Two questions
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1031612047.20238.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-10  7:02       ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-10  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 15:53:49 -0700, Chuck Siska wrote:

 >type M-x auto-fill-mode.  now, you're comments will auto-wrap when you
 >type a whitespace after the fill-column.  type C-u 7 2 C-x f, to set the
 >fill-column to 72.  good luck.

As I mentioned, "auto-fill-mode" is _not_ what I want as it only reformats
one line and only after I put an additional white space at the end. What I
want is what most stupid text editors do in "word wrap mode": just reflow
the paragraph when something is inserted or deleted.

Regards

@ 2002-09-10  7:42     ` Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany
From: Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems, Germany @ 2002-09-10  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frank> On Mon, 09 Sep 2002 10:16:57 +0200, Peter Weiss, Sun Microsystems,
Frank> Germany wrote:

Frank> [...]

Frank> At the moment, I'm talking about the default modes (C, Perl, etc.) and
Frank> my attempts to customize them. But I didn't find the code which
Frank> recognizes the commands and sets the colors; is this hard-coded?

Nope, like allways in Emacs: You can modify nearly everything to fit your
needs. Check the info docs for "font-lock".  Font-lock-mode is activated for
example globally with

    (global-font-lock-mode 1)

Frank> [...]

Frank>  Y
>> ESC q runs the command fill-paragraph which is an interactive
>> compiled Lisp function in `textmodes/fill'.
>> (fill-paragraph ARG)

Frank> Cool stuff! :) Didn't know that - but is there a way to do this
Frank> dynamically, without explicitly triggering a command? The dumbest mail
Frank> editor can do that so I'm sure emacs can ...

Take a look at the documentation of auto-fill-mode. This is somehow automatic
like that what M-q does.  Take a look at "C-x ." (set-fill-prefix) and "C-x f"
(set-fill-column).

Frank> [...]

Hth -- Peter

--

@ 2002-09-10 12:09         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-10 12:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank Winkler @home" <frank@consol.de> writes:

> As I mentioned, "auto-fill-mode" is _not_ what I want as it only reformats
> one line and only after I put an additional white space at the end. What I
> want is what most stupid text editors do in "word wrap mode": just reflow
> the paragraph when something is inserted or deleted.

refill.el comes with recent Emacsen (though I'm not sure if it's in
21.2 already, maybe only in the development version), and then there
is maniac.el.  Both hit M-q for you.

kai

* Re: Two questions
@ 2002-09-10 13:10           ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-10 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2002-09-10 13:11           ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-10 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for the last posting - I hit "send" too early :( ...

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:09:46 +0200, KaiGro johann wrote:

 >refill.el comes with recent Emacsen (though I'm not sure if it's in
 >21.2 already, maybe only in the development version), and then there
 >is maniac.el.  Both hit M-q for you.

Cool! And when do they do so? Do they also work with 20.6?

Regards

@ 2002-09-10 13:23             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-10 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank Winkler @home" <frank@consol.de> writes:

> Cool! And when do they do so? Do they also work with 20.6?

I don't know about refill, but maniac should.  They hit M-q "often
enough" -- whenever you change something.

kai

* Re: Two questions
@ 2002-09-10 13:56               ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-10 13:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:23:35 +0200, KaiGro johann wrote:

 >> Cool! And when do they do so? Do they also work with 20.6?
 >
 >I don't know about refill, but maniac should.  They hit M-q "often
 >enough" -- whenever you change something.

Could you please send them to me via email? Maybe along with some docs ...

@ 2002-09-11 14:18       ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-11 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:42:06 +0200, Peter Weiss, wrote:

 >> my attempts to customize them. But I didn't find the code which
 >> recognizes the commands and sets the colors; is this hard-coded?
 >
 >Nope, like allways in Emacs: You can modify nearly everything to fit your
 >needs. Check the info docs for "font-lock".  Font-lock-mode is activated
 >for example globally with
 >
 >    (global-font-lock-mode 1)

Ok, "font-lock-mode" seems to be a good trace. If I enable this mode, my
Perl program gets fontified. But I still don't understand why and how. The
word "perl" doesn't appear in font-lock.el.
So where exactly is the keyword-color mapping defined? Why is this not
coupled to perl-mode.el?

After some more fiddling: hilit19.el seems to be the interesting point.

@ 2002-09-11 16:01         ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2002-09-11 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Most experts say that hilit19 is obsolete.

My understanding is that there are standard names, like
font-lock-comment-face, which are shared by all modes.  If you look at
cperl-mode.el, you will see the faces used there.  The default values
are defined in font-lock.el.

"Frank Winkler @home" <frank@consol.de> writes:

> Ok, "font-lock-mode" seems to be a good trace. If I enable this mode, my
> Perl program gets fontified. But I still don't understand why and how. The
> word "perl" doesn't appear in font-lock.el.
> So where exactly is the keyword-color mapping defined? Why is this not
> coupled to perl-mode.el?
>
> After some more fiddling: hilit19.el seems to be the interesting point.

Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646

* Re: Two questions
@ 2002-09-11 17:42         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-11 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank Winkler @home" <frank@consol.de> writes:

> After some more fiddling: hilit19.el seems to be the interesting point.

Don't use that.  It's outdated.  Use font-lock instead.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)

* Re: Two questions
@ 2002-09-11 19:04           ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-11 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Sep 2002 16:01:24 GMT, kgold wrote:

 >Most experts say that hilit19 is obsolete.
 >
 >My understanding is that there are standard names, like
 >font-lock-comment-face, which are shared by all modes.  If you look at
 >cperl-mode.el, you will see the faces used there.  The default values
 >are defined in font-lock.el.

You're right. But why doesn't "perl-mode" force "font-lock-mode"? OTOH it
does on some other installations I use, emacs and xemacs.
What's the common/best wy to achieve this for all programming modes? I saw a
hint in "font-lock-mode" which is in fact a list of modes implying it - that
might be easier since I don't have to edit all modes. Or should I do it in
.emacs? And the same question for the text modes: what's the best way to
force "auto-fill-mode" or even "maniac-mode" ;) for text, i.e.
2fundamental-mode"?

Sorry to bother you - I've been a happy emacs user for many years but now
it's time to get in too deep :) ... and to get rid of all the manual
actions.

@ 2002-09-11 19:32           ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-11 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002 19:42:29 +0200, KaiGro johann wrote:

 >> After some more fiddling: hilit19.el seems to be the interesting point.
 >
 >Don't use that.  It's outdated.  Use font-lock instead.

Yep - someone else also said that. So let's immediately remove it from the
distribution :) ...

Thanks to all who helped me so far!

Regards

@ 2002-09-11 20:02             ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-09-11 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

> What's the common/best wy to achieve this for all programming modes? I saw a

Options -> Syntax Highlighting

> hint in "font-lock-mode" which is in fact a list of modes implying it - that
> might be easier since I don't have to edit all modes. Or should I do it in
> .emacs? And the same question for the text modes: what's the best way to
> force "auto-fill-mode"

Options -> Word Wrap in Text Modes

> or even "maniac-mode"

(add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda () (maniac-mode 1)))
I recommend refill-mode instead, tho.

> ;) for text, i.e. fundamental-mode"?

text-mode is not fundamental-mode.  You should basically never use a buffer
in fundamental-mode.

* Re: Two questions
@ 2002-09-12  0:57         ` Jeff Mincy
From: Jeff Mincy @ 2002-09-12  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, frank@consol.de wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:42:06 +0200, Peter Weiss, wrote:
>
>  >> my attempts to customize them. But I didn't find the code which
>  >> recognizes the commands and sets the colors; is this hard-coded?
>  >
>  >Nope, like allways in Emacs: You can modify nearly everything to fit your
>  >needs. Check the info docs for "font-lock".  Font-lock-mode is activated
>  >for example globally with
>  >
>  >    (global-font-lock-mode 1)
>
> Ok, "font-lock-mode" seems to be a good trace. If I enable this mode, my
> Perl program gets fontified. But I still don't understand why and how. The
> word "perl" doesn't appear in font-lock.el.

You got it backwards...  Look for font-lock in perl-mode.el or
cperl-mode.el depending on which one you are really using.

> So where exactly is the keyword-color mapping defined? Why is this not
> coupled to perl-mode.el?

Perhaps you are looking for the faces that are being used:

(defvar cperl-tips-faces 'please-ignore-this-line
  "CPerl mode uses following faces for highlighting:

  `cperl-array-face'		Array names
  `cperl-hash-face'		Hash names
  `font-lock-comment-face'	Comments, PODs and whatever is considered ...
  `font-lock-constant-face'	HERE-doc delimiters, labels, delimiters of...
  `font-lock-function-name-face' Special-cased m// and s//foo/, _ as

I'm guessing you are wanting to customize the colors of the various
faces...

-jeff

* Re: Two questions
@ 2002-09-12  6:50               ` Frank Winkler @home
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.1031814431.26390.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-12  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Sep 2002 16:02:16 -0400, "Stefan Monnier"
<monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> wrote:

 >Options -> Syntax Highlighting
 >Options -> Word Wrap in Text Modes

Those apply to xemacs.

 >> or even "maniac-mode"
 >
 >(add-hook 'text-mode-hook (lambda () (maniac-mode 1)))
 >I recommend refill-mode instead, tho.

As I already said, I want automatic reformatting for text mode.

 >> ;) for text, i.e. fundamental-mode"?
 >
 >text-mode is not fundamental-mode.  You should basically never use a
 >buffer in fundamental-mode.

What's the difference? Does the O'reilly book cover all this? The Desktop
Reference just lists some variables.

Regards

@ 2002-09-12  6:53           ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-12  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 11 Sep 2002 20:57:34 -0400, Jeff Mincy wrote:

 >> Ok, "font-lock-mode" seems to be a good trace. If I enable this mode, my
 >> Perl program gets fontified. But I still don't understand why and how.
 >> The word "perl" doesn't appear in font-lock.el.
 >
 >You got it backwards...  Look for font-lock in perl-mode.el or

With the help of some other posting I found that in the meantime :) ...

 >cperl-mode.el depending on which one you are really using.

... but what's "cperl-mode"?

 >> So where exactly is the keyword-color mapping defined? Why is this not
 >> coupled to perl-mode.el?
 >
 >Perhaps you are looking for the faces that are being used:

Yes - now I got the system with the faces.

 >I'm guessing you are wanting to customize the colors of the various
 >faces...

Basically, I want to understand how it works. Then I may think about
customization.

Regards

@ 2002-09-12  7:06                 ` Miles Bader
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.1031814431.26390.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-09-12  7:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank Winkler @home" <frank@consol.de> writes:
>  >Options -> Syntax Highlighting
>  >Options -> Word Wrap in Text Modes
>
> Those apply to xemacs.

They also apply to Emacs

>  >I recommend refill-mode instead, tho.
>
> As I already said, I want automatic reformatting for text mode.

... which is what refill-mode does.

-Miles
--
.Numeric stability is probably not all that important when you're guessing.

* Re: Two questions
       [not found]                 ` <mailman.1031814431.26390.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-12  7:39                   ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-12  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Sep 2002 16:06:38 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

 >>  >I recommend refill-mode instead, tho.
 >>
 >> As I already said, I want automatic reformatting for text mode.
 >
 >.... which is what refill-mode does.

Sorry, I was thinking aout "auto-fill-mode" :( ... let me take a look at
"refill-mode".

Regards

@ 2002-09-12  7:51                   ` Frank Winkler @home
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.1031821331.8438.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-12  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Sep 2002 16:06:38 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

 >> As I already said, I want automatic reformatting for text mode.
 >
 >.... which is what refill-mode does.

I just tried refill.el and it has a strange effect: I can't enter spaces at
the end of the input! So I have to type the hole text and then insert the
blanks afterwards (which is actually working and reformatting)? You're
joking ;) ...

Regards

@ 2002-09-12  9:01                     ` Miles Bader
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.1031821331.8438.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Miles Bader @ 2002-09-12  9:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank Winkler @home" <frank@consol.de> writes:
> I just tried refill.el and it has a strange effect: I can't enter spaces at
> the end of the input! So I have to type the hole text and then insert the
> blanks afterwards (which is actually working and reformatting)? You're
> joking ;) ...

Then something is wrong; refill-mode works fine for me.

What is your emacs version?  Are you using the version of `refill.el'
that comes with emacs, or something you found on the net?

-miles
--
Fast, small, soon; pick any 2.

* Re: Two questions
@ 2002-09-12 10:13             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-12 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank Winkler @home" <frank@consol.de> writes:

> ... but what's "cperl-mode"?

Emacs comes with two major modes for editing Perl code.  One is
called Perl and the other is called CPerl.  CPerl is based on an old
version of c-mode.el, hence the C.

CPerl has more features, I think.

kai
--

@ 2002-09-12 10:29             ` Vivek Dasmohapatra
From: Vivek Dasmohapatra @ 2002-09-12 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank Winkler @home" <frank@consol.de> writes:

>  >cperl-mode.el depending on which one you are really using.
>
> ... but what's "cperl-mode"?

cperl-mode is an alternative perl support mode that's generally more
aware of the harder constructs ( here docs, qw/qq operators, regexps
than perl mode ). It ships with emacs, but I generally grab the
latest copy from the external maintainer (Ilya Zakharevich) if it's
more recent than the bundled version.

--
I'm an apatheist. The question is no longer interesting,
and the answer no longer matters. - petro - a.s.r

* Re: Two questions
       [not found]                     ` <mailman.1031821331.8438.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-12 10:42                       ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-12 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 12 Sep 2002 18:01:00 +0900, Miles Bader wrote:

 >> blanks afterwards (which is actually working and reformatting)? You're
 >> joking ;) ...
 >
 >Then something is wrong; refill-mode works fine for me.
 >
 >What is your emacs version?  Are you using the version of `refill.el'
 >that comes with emacs, or something you found on the net?

I'm using 20.6 @home since there's no later OS/2 version :( ... and there
was no refill.el coming with this one so I googled and downloaded it )hint
from Kai). In the office I have xemacs but dunno the exact version at the
moment.

Do I perhaps need an older refill.el?

Regards

@ 2002-09-12 11:01             ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-12 11:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank Winkler @home" <frank@consol.de> writes:

> You're right. But why doesn't "perl-mode" force "font-lock-mode"?

Because it would be funny to have colors in Perl code but not in C
code (say).

See the user option global-font-lock-mode.  If you turn it on, both
Perl and C (say) will be colorful.

kai
--

@ 2002-09-12 11:48                         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-12 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Frank Winkler @home" <frank@consol.de> writes:

> I'm using 20.6 @home since there's no later OS/2 version :( ... and there
> was no refill.el coming with this one so I googled and downloaded it )hint
> from Kai). In the office I have xemacs but dunno the exact version at the
> moment.

I remember that one version by Dave had this bug.  Hm.

kai
--

@ 2002-09-12 11:54                           ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-12 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:48:57 +0200, KaiGro johann wrote:

 >I remember that one version by Dave had this bug.  Hm.

Could someone please mail me a working version so that I can compare?

@ 2002-09-12 11:55               ` Frank Winkler @home
From: Frank Winkler @home @ 2002-09-12 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 12 Sep 2002 13:01:43 +0200, KaiGro johann wrote:

 >> You're right. But why doesn't "perl-mode" force "font-lock-mode"?
 >
 >Because it would be funny to have colors in Perl code but not in C
 >code (say).

This was just an example ...

 >See the user option global-font-lock-mode.  If you turn it on, both
 >Perl and C (say) will be colorful.

... and that seems to be the answer. I'll take a look at it ...

BTW: What the coloring to do with "locking"?!?

Regards

Frank Winkler                                                frank@consol.de
ConSol GmbH
Franziskanerstr. 38                                   Voice +49 89 45841.180
81669 Munich - Germany                                  Fax +49 89 45841.199

* Two questions....
@ 2003-06-02  7:02 Urban Gabor
From: Urban Gabor @ 2003-06-02  7:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have two questions....

1. I would like to set up an Emacs-variable, that stores the
contents of an environment variable. The reason is, tha I
want to insert the $(HOSTNAME) into edited files with one
keystroke...

2. I generaly do C/C++ and Perl editing with emacs. It would
be very convenient to ha a generic macro, which insert an
empty comment in the code.  My problem is, that the formar
of the comment is dependig on the programming language
(mode) you use. Is there a genereal solution?

Thanks in advance...

Gabaux
Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows, and an apache
inside!

* Re: Two questions....
       [not found] <mailman.7131.1054537809.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-02  8:22 ` Holger Sparr
From: Holger Sparr @ 2003-06-02  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Urban Gabor wrote:
> 1. I would like to set up an Emacs-variable, that stores the
> contents of an environment variable. The reason is, tha I
> want to insert the $(HOSTNAME) into edited files with one
> keystroke...

You can use:

,----[ C-h f getenv RET ]

`----

@ 2003-06-02  8:25 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-02  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

Urban Gabor <gabaux@freemail.hu> writes:

> 1. I would like to set up an Emacs-variable, that stores the
> contents of an environment variable. The reason is, tha I
> want to insert the $(HOSTNAME) into edited files with one
> keystroke...

(setq lisp-variable (getenv "HOSTNAME"))

But why not just call (getenv "HOSTNAME") in the function?  Or use
(system-name) which returns the host name?

> 2. I generaly do C/C++ and Perl editing with emacs. It would
> be very convenient to ha a generic macro, which insert an
> empty comment in the code.  My problem is, that the formar
> of the comment is dependig on the programming language
> (mode) you use. Is there a genereal solution?

I hit M-;.  (This is new in Emacs 21.)
--
This line is not blank.

* Re: Two questions....
@ 2003-06-02 22:01   ` Balaji Venkataraman
From: Balaji Venkataraman @ 2003-06-02 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Kai> Urban Gabor <gabaux@freemail.hu> writes:

    >> 2. I generaly do C/C++ and Perl editing with emacs. It would be very
    >> convenient to ha a generic macro, which insert an empty comment in
    >> the code.  My problem is, that the formar of the comment is dependig
    >> on the programming language (mode) you use. Is there a genereal
    >> solution?

    Kai> I hit M-;.  (This is new in Emacs 21.)  -- This line is not blank.

If I understand Urban correctly, he wants to insert a new comment block -
like say some header text - he does not want to know how to (un)comment
existing lines etc.

Meaning if I'm in C mode I want to say "M-x insert-my-header" and it does

// Filename:
// Date started:

but in Perl mode it does

# Filename:
# Date started:

At least that's what I've wished for a while. Thought I'd learn enough elisp
to write a function to do that. But when is the question!
--
Remember 2 + 2 = 5, for large values of 2

* Re: Two questions....
@ 2003-06-03 12:10     ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2003-06-03 12:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

I do this all the time.  I've put some standard company headers into files
(header.c, header.pl, etc.) and then just use C-x i to insert the file at
the current point.  This works well for pre-existing files.  You could
also record a simple macro and bind it to a key.  I also use auto-insert
so I can have standard templates for any new *.c or *.pl files I create,
which will then automaticlly contain the standard headers.

@ 2003-06-03 13:05     ` Rob Thorpe
From: Rob Thorpe @ 2003-06-03 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Balaji Venkataraman <bvenkata+nospam@sm.intel.com> wrote in message news:<8an0h0rvea.fsf@sm.intel.com>...

>     Kai> Urban Gabor <gabaux@freemail.hu> writes:
>
>     >> 2. I generaly do C/C++ and Perl editing with emacs. It would be very
>     >> convenient to ha a generic macro, which insert an empty comment in
>     >> the code.  My problem is, that the formar of the comment is dependig
>     >> on the programming language (mode) you use. Is there a genereal
>     >> solution?
>
>     Kai> I hit M-;.  (This is new in Emacs 21.)  -- This line is not blank.
>
> If I understand Urban correctly, he wants to insert a new comment block -
> like say some header text - he does not want to know how to (un)comment
> existing lines etc.
>
> Meaning if I'm in C mode I want to say "M-x insert-my-header" and it does
>
> // Filename:
> // Date started:
>
> but in Perl mode it does
>
> # Filename:
> # Date started:
>
> At least that's what I've wished for a while. Thought I'd learn enough elisp
> to write a function to do that. But when is the question!

In any particular mode this is given by the value of comment-start.

(insert comment-start "Filename:"  comment-end "\n")

etc

* Re: Two questions....
@ 2003-06-04 13:49       ` Pascal Bourguignon
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2003-06-04 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

robert.thorpe@antenova.com (Rob Thorpe) writes:
> > Meaning if I'm in C mode I want to say "M-x insert-my-header" and it does
> >
> > // Filename:
> > // Date started:
> >
> > but in Perl mode it does
> >
> > # Filename:
> > # Date started:
> >
> > At least that's what I've wished for a while. Thought I'd learn enough elisp
> > to write a function to do that. But when is the question!
>

> In any particular mode this is given by the value of comment-start.
>
> (insert comment-start "Filename:"  comment-end "\n")

You  may  need  to  use   a  different  table  for  comment-start  and
comment-end.  For  example, in emacs-lisp-mode,  comment-start is ";",
but generally  you want at least  two semi-colon to  avoid sending the
comment on the  right, particularly for such "header"  comment. In the
case of c++-mode, you get "// " but you may prefer "/* "...

But that's the principle.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.

* Re: Two questions....
@ 2003-06-04 15:38         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-04 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You  may  need  to  use   a  different  table  for  comment-start  and
> comment-end.  For  example, in emacs-lisp-mode,  comment-start is ";",
> but generally  you want at least  two semi-colon to  avoid sending the
> comment on the  right, particularly for such "header"  comment. In the
> case of c++-mode, you get "// " but you may prefer "/* "...

And maybe you want/need extra spacing as well.
This is all taken care of if you use

   (comment-padright comment-start comment-add)

and

   (commend-padleft comment-end comment-add)

-- Stefan

* Re: Two questions....
@ 2003-06-05 17:14     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-06-05 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Balaji Venkataraman <bvenkata+nospam@sm.intel.com> writes:

> If I understand Urban correctly, he wants to insert a new comment block -
> like say some header text - he does not want to know how to (un)comment
> existing lines etc.

He explicitly said "empty comment".
Go to an empty line and hit M-; and you get an empty comment.

I apologize if I misunderstood the request.
--
This line is not blank.

* Two questions
@ 2020-01-29 17:26 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2020-01-29 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

I’m using the nightly build from EmacsForMacOS because I want the XDG_CONFIG_HOME change that went into emacs 27.

Q1: When is this scheduled for release so I can stop using the nightly build?  (Mostly just curious.  The nightly is working ok.)

Q2: I just had emacs die on my Mac.  Just *poof* and its gone with the message "if I want to restart ...".  Should I try and send this information into the maintainers and if so, how would I do that?  What files will be useful to them?  Do I send it to the EmacsForMac guys or the GNU emacs guys?

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP --]

* Re: Two questions
@ 2020-01-29 17:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-01-29 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com>
> Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2020 11:26:54 -0600
>
> Q1: When is this scheduled for release so I can stop using the nightly build?  (Mostly just curious.  The nightly is working ok.)

No idea.  The pretest of Emacs 27 should start shortly.

> Q2: I just had emacs die on my Mac.  Just *poof* and its gone with the message "if I want to restart ...".  Should I try and send this information into the maintainers and if so, how would I do that?  What files will be useful to them?  Do I send it to the EmacsForMac guys or the GNU emacs guys?

Use the "M-x report-emacs-bug" command to collect and report all the
details you can gather about this, and send the report via email to
the address generated by the command.

You could try looking in the system logs for information that could
help investigate the problem.  Modern systems generally have some
facility of saving important information about any application
crashes, but the details depend on the OS, and I don't use macOS, so I
cannot tell you the details of where that information is on that OS.