all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 21.2  :  Can you set it up so the cursor is focused in completeion buffers when they happen?
@ 2002-09-06 20:31 Steve
From: Steve @ 2002-09-06 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi;

I'm using gnu emacs 21.2.

I was wondering if there was something I could set so that when a
completeion buffer comes up ( ie C-h,  M-occur ) the cursor will be in
that buffer?

I usually want to scroll such lists so if I could set things up like
this it would save me a few keystrokes.

Steve

* Re: Emacs 21.2  :  Can you set it up so the cursor is focused in completeion buffers when they happen?
@ 2002-09-06 22:21 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2002-09-06 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve wrote:

> I'm using gnu emacs 21.2.
>
> I was wondering if there was something I could set so that when a
> completeion buffer comes up ( ie C-h,  M-occur ) the cursor will be in
> that buffer?
>
> I usually want to scroll such lists so if I could set things up like
> this it would save me a few keystrokes.

Are you aware of M-C-v (and M-- M-C-v)?

--
Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com>

* Re: Emacs 21.2  :  Can you set it up so the cursor is focused in completeion buffers when they happen?
@ 2002-09-07  3:55   ` Steve
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1031392446.23072.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Steve @ 2002-09-07  3:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers <kevinr@ihs.com> wrote in message news:<3D792A4E.8040006@ihs.com>...
> Steve wrote:
>
> > I'm using gnu emacs 21.2.
> >
> > I was wondering if there was something I could set so that when a
> > completeion buffer comes up ( ie C-h,  M-occur ) the cursor will be in
> > that buffer?
> >
> > I usually want to scroll such lists so if I could set things up like
> > this it would save me a few keystrokes.
>
> Are you aware of M-C-v (and M-- M-C-v)?

Its a bit of a finger twister and on my system it just takes me to the
end of the other window/buffer.

I just want the cursor there so I don't have to C-x o when such
completeion buffers come up.

@ 2002-09-07  9:54     ` Marco Baringer
       [not found]     ` <mailman.1031392446.23072.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Marco Baringer @ 2002-09-07  9:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

it wasn't really clear (what does M-x occur have to do with
completion?), but if you're talking about the normal minibuffer's
completion mechanism than you can you continue hitting tab and the
completion buffer scrolls down, and once you're at the bottom it
returns to the top if you continue hitting TAB. is this what you
needed?

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.

@ 2002-09-07 16:35       ` Steve
From: Steve @ 2002-09-07 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Marco Baringer <empb@bese.it> wrote in message news:<mailman.1031392446.23072.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...
> it wasn't really clear (what does M-x occur have to do with
> completion?),

I'm talking about any situation where emacs ( not me ) splits the
screen _for me_to show me some information.

In those situations ( C-h gets a help list, M-x occur gets me a lits
of search results, etc etc ) the cursor is not in the half of the
screen where emacs brought up information.

I would like emacs to put the cursor there automatically in those
situations so I do not have to hit C-x o to put it there before I can
scroll the results.

> but if you're talking about the normal minibuffer's
> completion mechanism than you can you continue hitting tab and the
> completion buffer scrolls down,

It doesn't work with C-h ( help ) or with M-x occur.  I also need the
cursor to be there as with M-x occur or when I get a list of errors
from compilation.

Like I said it would be avoiding a nuisance if I didn't have to C-x o
to put the cursor in the new window, that emacs would do it
automatically.

* Re: Emacs 21.2  :  Can you set it up so the cursor is focused in completeion buffers when they happen?
@ 2002-09-07 19:16         ` Marco Baringer
From: Marco Baringer @ 2002-09-07 19:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

stevesusenet@yahoo.com (Steve) writes:

> I would like emacs to put the cursor there automatically in those
> situations so I do not have to hit C-x o to put it there before I can
> scroll the results.

so, you want to run some code (other-window 1) after emacs has
finishing runing occur (or whatever). sounds like a job for defadvice
to me, what do you say robin? "holy-crazy-elisp-code batman! you may
be on to something!" :)

try something along the lines of:

(defadvice occur (after occur-switch-to-window)
  (other-window 1))
(ad-activate 'occur)

now, since you want to do it for quite a few functions (grep comes to
mind), it'd be nice to wrap it up in a macro like this one:

(defmacro add-switch-to-window-advice (function)
  `(progn
     (defadvice ,function (after ,(intern (concat (symbol-name function) "-switch-to-window")))
       (other-window 1))
     (ad-activate ',function)))

and use it like this:

(add-switch-to-window-advice occur)
(add-switch-to-window-advice grep)

or some such madness.

i would not suggest using it for the help functions as you can't do
anything in thoses buffers, only read them so you'd have to opposite
annoyance of having to switch out of those buffers, this is unlike
grep and occur where having the point in thoses buffers is usefull.

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light gets in.
     -Leonard Cohen

p.s. - i had been happily living with this annoyance for quite a
while. thanks for pointing it out to me.

* Re: Emacs 21.2  :  Can you set it up so the cursor is focused in completeion buffers when they happen?
@ 2002-09-07 19:27         ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-07 19:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

stevesusenet@yahoo.com (Steve) writes:

> Marco Baringer <empb@bese.it> wrote in message news:<mailman.1031392446.23072.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...
>> it wasn't really clear (what does M-x occur have to do with
>> completion?),
>
> I'm talking about any situation where emacs ( not me ) splits the
> screen _for me_to show me some information.

Ah, there is some variable which allows you to set a function for
this case.  Hm.

Ah, there are display-buffer-function and temp-buffer-show-function.
Does this help?

kai