all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* current line to top or bottom of window
@ 2002-08-11 16:09 Bruce Korb
From: Bruce Korb @ 2002-08-11 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Once upon a time, I used to be able to move the line with point
to the top or bottom of the window by clicking the scroll area
with the left (top) or right (bottom) button.  The new version
of emacs won't let me do that.  I've wandered around the docs
quite a bit and haven't found any way to do it, short of learning
emacs-lisp and writing my own macro.  That seems a little over
the top.  :-(  Does *anyone* have macros for this, either as
a keyboard macro or a mouse click?  Thank you.  I will *sure*
appreciate it!!

* Re: current line to top or bottom of window
@ 2002-08-11 16:41 ` Ehud Karni
From: Ehud Karni @ 2002-08-11 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 09:09:19 -0700, Bruce Korb <bkorb@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Once upon a time, I used to be able to move the line with point
> to the top or bottom of the window by clicking the scroll area
> with the left (top) or right (bottom) button.  The new version
> of emacs won't let me do that.  I've wandered around the docs
> quite a bit and haven't found any way to do it, short of learning
> emacs-lisp and writing my own macro.  That seems a little over
> the top.  :-(  Does *anyone* have macros for this, either as
> a keyboard macro or a mouse click?  Thank you.  I will *sure*
> appreciate it!!

Here are my defined functions:

(defun middle-window () "go to line in middle of window"
       (interactive)
       (move-to-window-line (+ (/ (1- (window-height)) 2))))

(defun line-to-top (arg) "move current line to top of window"
       (interactive "p")
       (recenter (1- arg))
       (middle-window))

(defun line-to-bottom (arg) "move current line to bottom of window"
       (interactive "p")
       (recenter (- (window-height) (1+ arg)))
       (middle-window))

Please note that these functions will put the cursor at the middle of
window after moving the text. If you do not want that remove the
"(middle-window)" [ leave 1 ")" ].

I assign the keys Shift-Page-Up and Shift-Page-Down to these commands:

(define-key global-map '[S-next]     'line-to-top)    ;shift pg-dn key
(define-key global-map '[S-kp-next]  'line-to-top)    ;shift pg-dn key (keypad)

(define-key global-map '[S-prior]    'line-to-bottom) ;shift pg-up key
(define-key global-map '[S-kp-prior] 'line-to-bottom) ;shift pg-up key (keypad)

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign

* RE: current line to top or bottom of window
@ 2002-08-12  6:53 Dmitri.Minaev
From: Dmitri.Minaev @ 2002-08-12  6:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Mine are not that sophisticated :)

(defalias 'goto-page-top
  (read-kbd-macro "C-u 1 M-r"))
(defalias 'goto-page-bot
  (read-kbd-macro "C-u -1 M-r"))

and, of course:

(global-set-key [(control {)] 'goto-page-top)
(global-set-key [(control })] 'goto-page-bot)

--
With best regards,
Dmitri Minaev

@ 2002-08-12 16:15 ` Fernando Dobladez