all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
@ 2010-02-22 18:04 Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
       [not found] ` <mailman.1671.1266870779.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2010-02-22 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi once again,

Section 15.1 of the Emacs Lisp reference (“ 15.1 How Programs Do Loading
”), states that
> It looks for compressed versions by appending each of the suffixes in
> jka-compr-load-suffixes to the file name. The value of this variable
> must be a list of strings. Its standard value is (".gz").
It seems to work this way indeed, except for the lisp/international
subdirectory. If files in this directory are gzip compressed, then Emacs
fails to launch.

As I'm beginning with Emacs, I can't assert it's not the expected
behavior, so I just leave a message here for interested parties.

Happy editing

--
No-no, this isn't an oops ...or I hope (TM) - Don't blame me... I'm just
not lucky

* Re: Loading of compressed ELisp files
@ 2010-02-22 20:32 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.1671.1266870779.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-02-22 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.02.2010 um 19:04 schrieb Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne):

> lisp/international subdirectory. If files in this directory are gzip
> compressed, then Emacs fails to launch.

You seem to misunderstand that GNU Emacs prefers to load the byte-
compiled (ELC) files. The ELisp files are left for documentation use.

--
Greetings

   Pete

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're
talking about.
				– John von Neumann

@ 2010-02-23  9:30   ` Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne)
From: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne) @ 2010-02-23  9:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Pete,

Le Mon, 22 Feb 2010 21:32:29 +0100, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> a
écrit:
> You seem to misunderstand that GNU Emacs prefers to load the byte-
> compiled (ELC) files. The ELisp files are left for documentation use.
Where is it stated ?
Actually, section 15.1 of the reference (which specifies loading
behaviors) does not state such a thing.
But may be I've missed the relevant section of the reference.

--

@ 2010-02-23 10:05     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-02-23 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne); +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 23.02.2010 um 10:30 schrieb Hibou57 (Yannick Duchêne):

> Where is it stated ?

I don't know! It's just clear that you wouldn't byte-compile ELisp
files just because GNU Emacs can do it. Since its faster to load byte-
compiled files (see also Java or Python) its clear that they're used
in preference of not byte-compiled files to load additional code. And
since these are unreadable and don't contain any comments on the code
they cannot be used for documentation uses as GPL demands.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"What do you think of Western Civilisation?"
"I think it would be a good idea!"
				– Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi