all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* A Few Small Questions
@ 2002-06-12  5:52 Scott Goldstein
From: Scott Goldstein @ 2002-06-12  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have two unrelated questions.

1.  How can I find out what variables are valid in the list,
default-frame-alist?  In other, what parameters can I set?

2.  When I run bash in Emacs, I would like it to read my .bash_profile
file.  I have the following in my .emacs in order to do this:

(setq explicit-sh-args '("-login" "-i"))

However, it doesn't work.  Any ideas?

Thanks for the help.

Scott

* Re: A Few Small Questions
@ 2002-06-12  9:18 ` Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2002-06-12  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am trying to set the default font in my Emacs (in Red Hat) to a larger
size. I found some sample .emacs files on the web that contained
settings such as

(set-default-font "-*-Courier-normal-r-*-*-16-96-*-*-c-90-*-ansi-")

But when I try these, I get an error message saying that the font I have
listed is not defined. How can I get a list of the fonts that are
defined for my installation?

Chuck

* Re: A Few Small Questions
@ 2002-06-12 11:31   ` Marco Baringer
From: Marco Baringer @ 2002-06-12 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> writes:

> I am trying to set the default font in my Emacs (in Red Hat) to a larger
> size. I found some sample .emacs files on the web that contained
> settings such as
>
> (set-default-font "-*-Courier-normal-r-*-*-16-96-*-*-c-90-*-ansi-")
>
> But when I try these, I get an error message saying that the font I have
> listed is not defined. How can I get a list of the fonts that are
> defined for my installation?

M-x set-default-font TAB

will give you all the fonts available. this is kind of hackish, but it
works.

use:

(insert (frame-parameter nil 'font))

once you have found a font you like to write this into your .emacs
unless you feel like copying the font name. type the above, hit C-x
C-e and then delete that lisp code.

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.

* Setting default fonts
@ 2002-06-12 15:38     ` Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2002-06-12 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

 Marco Baringer helpfully advised:

> M-x set-default-font TAB
>
> will give you all the fonts available. this is kind of hackish, but it
> works.

My apologies for my denseness--I am completely new to Emacs, and am struggling.

When I do like the above, I then get a request for information like

  Font name:

But I don't know what I am supposed to input here.

When I do this:

> (insert (frame-parameter nil 'font))

Then, when I start Emacs, the first thing I get is a listing of an Adobe Courier 12 point font. But I don't know what I should do with this. Is there any chance that I could get you to explain just a bit further. I think I am almost there (I have gotten XML validation working, MEW working, and Japanese input working, so I should be able to work through this matter of default fonts!)

Thanks much,

Chuck

------------------------------

* Re: Setting default fonts
@ 2002-06-12 16:56       ` Chuck Siska
From: Chuck Siska @ 2002-06-12 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

chuck --

to see all the available fonts, first select a buffer into which
you don't mind entering text (e.g., the *scratch* buffer).  now
enter the following lisp expression in that buffer:

(insert (prin1-to-string (x-list-fonts "*")))

place the text cursor at the end of this lisp expression and type
M-x eval-print-last-sexp.

you should see a parenthesized list like the following appear immediately
after that lisp expression.  each entry, in double-qoutes, is a
font description.  (note, i've shortened my output list, here,
from my own 880 entries to just the two shown.

("-*-Mini Pics Red Rock-normal-r-*-*-*-*-96-96-p-*-iso8859-1" "-*-Mini Pics Lil
Vehicles-normal-r-*-*-*-*-96-96-p-*-iso8859-1")

now, i setup my initial font in emacs by executing the following
lisp expressions when i'm running emacs on mswind.  These are
executed automatically in my _emacs (or .emacs) file when emacs
starts up, but you can execute them by hand if you wish.  note,
that i've taken a liberty, here, of replacing some of the font
description elements with a "*" wildcard, but you can just use
one of the font descriptions directly.

; set font to terminal, regular, 6 point.
(setq cs-default-font "-*-Terminal-normal-r-*-*-8-60-*-*-c-*-*-oem-")

(progn
  (setq initial-frame-alist
        (append `((font . ,cs-default-font))
                initial-frame-alist))
  (setq default-frame-alist
        (append `((font . ,cs-default-font))
                default-frame-alist)))

good luck.

-- chuck

Charles Muller wrote:

>  Marco Baringer helpfully advised:
>

> > M-x set-default-font TAB
> >
> > will give you all the fonts available. this is kind of hackish, but it
> > works.
>
> My apologies for my denseness--I am completely new to Emacs, and am struggling.
>
> When I do like the above, I then get a request for information like
>
>   Font name:
>
> But I don't know what I am supposed to input here.
>
> When I do this:
>
> > (insert (frame-parameter nil 'font))
>
> Then, when I start Emacs, the first thing I get is a listing of an Adobe Courier 12 point font. But I don't know what I should do with this. Is there any chance that I could get you to explain just a bit further. I think I am almost there (I have gotten XML validation working, MEW working, and Japanese input working, so I should be able to work through this matter of default fonts!)
>
> Thanks much,
>
> Chuck

                                           |\_/\_.-'""``:-._
What is life without looking for           . . `; -._      )-;-,_`)
the next cute little bug to play with?     v_,-    _  ),(,.\  ``-'
                                          _.- _.,-_/ /  ((.'
-- chuck.siska@conexant.com  `<}:..     ((,.-'   ((,/

* Re: Setting default fonts
@ 2002-06-13  6:48         ` Charles Muller
From: Charles Muller @ 2002-06-13  6:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 01:56, Chuck Siska wrote:
> chuck --
>
> to see all the available fonts, first select a buffer into which
> you don't mind entering text (e.g., the *scratch* buffer).  now
> enter the following lisp expression in that buffer:
>
> (insert (prin1-to-string (x-list-fonts "*")))
>
> place the text cursor at the end of this lisp expression and type
> M-x eval-print-last-sexp.
>
> you should see a parenthesized list like the following appear immediately
> after that lisp expression.  each entry, in double-qoutes, is a
> font description.  (note, i've shortened my output list, here,
> from my own 880 entries to just the two shown.
>
> ("-*-Mini Pics Red Rock-normal-r-*-*-*-*-96-96-p-*-iso8859-1" "-*-Mini Pics Lil
> Vehicles-normal-r-*-*-*-*-96-96-p-*-iso8859-1")
>
> now, i setup my initial font in emacs by executing the following
> lisp expressions when i'm running emacs on mswind.  These are
> executed automatically in my _emacs (or .emacs) file when emacs
> starts up, but you can execute them by hand if you wish.  note,
> that i've taken a liberty, here, of replacing some of the font
> description elements with a "*" wildcard, but you can just use
> one of the font descriptions directly.
>
> ; set font to terminal, regular, 6 point.
> (setq cs-default-font "-*-Terminal-normal-r-*-*-8-60-*-*-c-*-*-oem-")
>
> (progn
>   (setq initial-frame-alist
>         (append `((font . ,cs-default-font))
>                 initial-frame-alist))