all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Chuck Bernard <chuck@logicvision.com>
Subject: Re: fringes
Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 10:35:16 -0700	[thread overview]

"Bingham, Jay" wrote:

> A discussion about turning the fringes off did occur shortly after version 21.1 was released, if it was not in this list then it was in the help-emacs-windows list.  (Sorry for pointing you to the wrong archive, since I am subscribed to both lists it is sometimes hard to remember which list a discussion occurred in when a topic that pertains to any implementation of emacs is discussed in the emacs windows list).
>
> I can assure you that you are not the only one who is annoyed by them, nor are you the only one who is disappointed that they can't be turned off.

Good, then I'm not alone :-)

In my opinion, one of the best things about emacs is that people contribute new
functions or features all of the time.  However, "THE" best thing is that the rest of
us can either  use them or disable them.

Fringes seem to fly in the face of the greatest strengths of emacs in that you
are forced to have them whether you like them or not.  Toolbars and fringes
are nice things to have for beginners but once you get use to the tool it is
best to take off those training wheels and become truly efficient.

Sorry for venting... Thanks for listening.  I feel better already :-)

//Chuck