all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* fringes
@ 2002-05-15 22:08 Chuck Bernard
From: Chuck Bernard @ 2002-05-15 22:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi everybody, I'm new to the list but have been using emacs for 12 years :-)

I've finally upgraded to emacs version 21.2.1

My question is regards to the "fringes" and how I might go about turning them
off.
I can change the colors and fonts etc. but I just don't want to see them at all.

Or, am I just use to the "old" way which didn't have fringes and someone might
like to explain to me why I should really keep them.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

//Chuck

* RE: fringes
@ 2002-05-16 21:11 Bingham, Jay
From: Bingham, Jay @ 2002-05-16 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In Emacs 21.1 and later fringes are narrow bands on both edges of the frame in which are displayed line wrapping information (there may be other information displayed there but I do not know what it would be, I am not a developer of emacs) in the form of curved arrows.  From what has been said in this list previously they cannot be disabled.  You may want to check the list archives for more specific details.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Enterprise Division - Software Product Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
. Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire.          -Dr. George W. Crane-

> Hi everybody, I'm new to the list but have been using emacs for 12
> years :-)

Quite late.  But always welcome over here!

> I've finally upgraded to emacs version 21.2.1
>
> My question is regards to the "fringes" and how I might go about
> turning them off.  I can change the colors and fonts etc. but I just
> don't want to see them at all.

Well... I am new to the list as well as to emacs.  (Just one year
old.)  So, what are "fringes"?

Cheers,
anna

--

(9) I will not include a self-destruct mechanism unless absolutely
    necessary.  If  it is necessary, it will not be a large red button

[parent not found: <72A87F7160C0994D8C5A36E2FDC227F501FB5475@txnexc01.americas.cpqcorp.net>]
* Fringes
@ 2005-10-02  9:17 Nick Roberts
From: Nick Roberts @ 2005-10-02  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

If a buffer uses the default left fringe width, the variable left-fringe-width
is nil while the function window-fringes returns information about the fringes
of a window.  So there appears to be no way to determine the fringe width of a
buffer that is not currently displayed.  I've noticed this problem because
gdb-ui.el uses window-fringes in gdb-put-breakpoint-icon.  Since the speedbar
now has no left fringe, if I expand the display of a watch expression in the
speedbar (an array, say), the breakpoint icon shifts from the fringe to the
display margin (because window-fringes uses the selected window by default,
the speedbar in this case).

Nick

Here's a suggestion/correction for the Fringes section of the lisp
manual.

(caution if applying diff - remove line with ^^^^^^)

*** display.texi.~1.188.~       2005-10-01 00:57:51.000000000 +1200
--- display.texi        2005-10-02 21:55:21.174050936 +1300
***************
*** 2730,2752 ****
  @node Fringe Size/Pos
  @subsection Fringe Size and Position

!   Here's how to control the position and width of the window fringes.

  @defvar fringes-outside-margins
! If the value is non-@code{nil}, the frames appear outside the display
                                      ^^^^^^
! margins.  The fringes normally appear between the display margins and
! the window text.  It works to set @code{fringes-outside-margins}
! buffer-locally.  @xref{Display Margins}.
  @end defvar

  @defvar left-fringe-width
  This variable, if non-@code{nil}, specifies the width of the left
! fringe in pixels.
  @end defvar

  @defvar right-fringe-width
  This variable, if non-@code{nil}, specifies the width of the right
! fringe in pixels.
  @end defvar

    The values of these variables take effect when you display the
--- 2730,2754 ----
  @node Fringe Size/Pos
  @subsection Fringe Size and Position

!   The following buffer-local variables control the position and width

! text.  If the value is non-@code{nil}, they appear outside the display
! margins.  @xref{Display Margins}.
  @end defvar

  @defvar left-fringe-width