all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 24.3 installation instruction
@ 2013-06-13 13:13 Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha
From: Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha @ 2013-06-13 13:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi,

I am trying to install emacs 24.3 with the standard installation, could you please provide me the details of installation instruction.

Regards,
Srinivasa

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.

* Re: emacs 24.3 installation instruction
@ 2013-06-13 16:49 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-06-13 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Am 13.06.2013 um 15:13 schrieb Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install emacs 24.3 with the standard installation, could you please provide me the details of installation instruction.

Just try to read the README file. It's held in English and explains a few things.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

  Pete

Theoretischer Unterbau, der:
	Aussage über einen hypothetischen Teil einer Fernsehansagerin

* RE: emacs 24.3 installation instruction
@ 2013-06-14  5:09   ` Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha
From: Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha @ 2013-06-14  5:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Hi Peter,

Thank you, I am trying to install it on rhe5 and rhe6 machine, while compiling I will get use "--without-x" option. I am not sure, if this option really requires.

Kindly suggest me.

Regards,
Srinivasa

@ 2013-06-14  7:19     ` Mihamina Rakotomandimby
From: Mihamina Rakotomandimby @ 2013-06-14  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2013-06-14 08:09, Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha wrote:
> Thank you, I am trying to install it on rhe5 and rhe6 machine, while compiling I will get use "--without-x" option. I am not sure, if this option really requires.

Do you want to use Emacs with X?
Depending on your answer, you'll use or not this option.

--
RMA.

* Re: emacs 24.3 installation instruction
@ 2013-06-14  8:31     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2013-06-14  8:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Am 14.06.2013 um 07:09 schrieb Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha:

> I am trying to install it on rhe5 and rhe6 machine, while compiling I will get use "--without-x" option. I am not sure, if this option really requires.

Did you try

	./configure --help

This introduces to you all the options the configure script understands, which sets up the features GNU Emacs will have when built (and also when installed). The option "--without-x" is only then needed when you exactly know that you will never, never, never use GNU Emacs as an X client. GNU Emacs launched from the command line or such with -nw or --no-window-system will open inside a terminal (emulation) and not use X11.

--
Greetings

  Pete

It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.

* RE: emacs 24.3 installation instruction
@ 2013-06-14  8:38       ` Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha
From: Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha @ 2013-06-14  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Yeah, I am playing with the options.

But, I wanted to know the significance of --no-window-system. Thanks for explaining that :)

Will work with it to get emacs custom installation successfully.

Thanks for your help and support.

Regard,
Srinivasa

@ 2013-06-14 16:34     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-06-14 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Srinivasa Kempapura Padmanabha wrote:

> Thank you, I am trying to install it on rhe5 and rhe6 machine, while
> compiling I will get use "--without-x" option. I am not sure, if this
> option really requires.

Your Emacs will be more featureful if you run

  yum-builddep emacs

to install dependencies before configuring.

This and much more is written in the INSTALL file.