all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
To: jreeseue <jreeseue@gmail.com>
Cc: Help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.0.94.1 slow to load on OS X
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 22:48:08 +0100	[thread overview]

Am 5.3.2012 um 22:04 schrieb jreeseue:

> As a side note, I haven't experienced any lag when using emacs 22. The only
> reason I upgraded was because emacs 22 wasn't doing syntax highlighting on
> comments in Java. If there is a easy way to change this I would happily go
> back to emacs 22 hopefully bring this to an end :)

I have no idea, I'm not using Java that much. Hopefully others cn help here...

The performance data you sent looks quite good. Working with Java I can imagine that faulty Java code can easily use up a few GB of memory so that the system has to perform swapping. With 8 GB or RAM and 8 GB of swap a Mac gets slow. It's easy to feel, though I did not measure but reboot, which is faster than on this other OS...

The number of cache hits looks terribly bad! Although my system is up since three weeks it has exactly 0.0 % as well.

--
Greetings

  Pete

     _o    o         o   o