all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Xemacs error
@ 2010-08-05 17:07 Julian, Phillip
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1281328742.10434.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Julian, Phillip @ 2010-08-05 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I am getting an Xemacs error when it starts up.  I placed Xemacs in a
non-standard location, and setup some environment variables.  It seems
to know where HOME is.  I have also unloaded the packages into a
sub-directory where the EXE file resides.  I placed binaries in the
directory - all are version 21.4.19.  I did not install using the Xemacs
installation tool, because security measures at the bank (Bank of
America) prevent such an installation.  I also tried to find information
at xemacs.org regarding the correct directory structure and any Windows
registry entries that I may need to set - to no avail.  My help desk
said that I should email you.

I want to customize Xemacs further for the ess package, so I need to get
this working to use it effectively.

Xemacs seems to work - I can edit files OK.  But the graphic menu at the
top looks scrunched-up like this, which is another tell-tale error:

Here is the error, which appears in a DOS window:

WARNING:  Couldn't find an obvious default for the root of the XEmacs
hierarchy.

WARNING:  Couldn't find obvious defaults for:

load-path

doc-directory

data-directory

exec-directory

lisp-directory

Perhaps some directories don't exist, or the XEmacs executable,

C:\Documents and Settings\NBKLUVA\My Documents\My
Programs\xemacs-21.4.19\xemacs.exe

is in a strange place?

Can you please tell me how to fix this?

Thanks,

Phillip Julian

TOLA and SASO Channel Execution

Direct Response & Analytical Marketing

980-307-0507

This message w/attachments (message) is intended solely for the use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or proprietary. If you are not an intended recipient, please notify the sender, and then please delete and destroy all copies and attachments, and be advised that any review or dissemination of, or the taking of any action in reliance on, the information contained in or attached to this message is prohibited.
Unless specifically indicated, this message is not an offer to sell or a solicitation of any investment products or other financial product or service, an official confirmation of any transaction, or an official statement of Sender. Subject to applicable law, Sender may intercept, monitor, review and retain e-communications (EC) traveling through its networks/systems and may produce any such EC to regulators, law enforcement, in litigation and as required by law.
The laws of the country of each sender/recipient may impact the handling of EC, and EC may be archived, supervised and produced in countries other than the country in which you are located. This message cannot be guaranteed to be secure or free of errors or viruses.

References to "Sender" are references to any subsidiary of Bank of America Corporation. Securities and Insurance Products: * Are Not FDIC Insured * Are Not Bank Guaranteed * May Lose Value * Are Not a Bank Deposit * Are Not a Condition to Any Banking Service or Activity * Are Not Insured by Any Federal Government Agency. Attachments that are part of this EC may have additional important disclosures and disclaimers, which you should read. This message is subject to terms available at the following link:
http://www.bankofamerica.com/emaildisclaimer. By messaging with Sender you consent to the foregoing.

[-- Attachment #2: image001.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 62985 bytes --]

* Re: Xemacs error
@ 2010-08-09  4:38 ` Deniz Dogan
       [not found] ` <mailman.0.1281328742.10434.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Deniz Dogan @ 2010-08-09  4:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian, Phillip; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

2010/8/5 Julian, Phillip <phillip.julian@bankofamerica.com>
> I am getting an Xemacs error when it starts up.  I placed Xemacs in a non-standard location, and setup some environment variables.  It seems to know where HOME is.  I have also unloaded the packages into a sub-directory where the EXE file resides.  I placed binaries in the directory – all are version 21.4.19.  I did not install using the Xemacs installation tool, because security measures at the bank (Bank of America) prevent such an installation.  I also tried to find information at xemacs.org regarding the correct directory structure and any Windows registry entries that I may need to set – to no avail.  My help desk said that I should email you.
>
> I want to customize Xemacs further for the ess package, so I need to get this working to use it effectively.
>
> Xemacs seems to work – I can edit files OK.  But the graphic menu at the top looks scrunched-up like this, which is another tell-tale error:
>
> Here is the error, which appears in a DOS window:
>
> WARNING:  Couldn't find an obvious default for the root of the XEmacs hierarchy.
> WARNING:  Couldn't find obvious defaults for:
> load-path
> doc-directory
> data-directory
> exec-directory
> lisp-directory
> Perhaps some directories don't exist, or the XEmacs executable,
> C:\Documents and Settings\NBKLUVA\My Documents\My Programs\xemacs-21.4.19\xemacs.exe
> is in a strange place?

Hi, Phillip

This mailing list discusses GNU Emacs, not XEmacs. They are two
different programs and the general opinion nowadays seems to be
that XEmacs is legacy and few use it.

While you might get answers on this list, my guess is that your
best bet is to contact one of the lists that are listed here:
http://www.xemacs.org/Lists/index.html

You should also note that your version of XEmacs is very old. When it
was released Internet Explorer 6 was the norm. Have you tried a newer
version? Maybe you should try GNU Emacs instead? ;) Here is a link to
the latest stable Windows build of GNU Emacs:
ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-23.2-bin-i386.zip
GNU Emacs does not use an installation tool of any kind, simply
unpack it and run bin\runemacs.exe.

Good luck,
Deniz Dogan

* Re: Xemacs error
@ 2010-08-09  9:08   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-08-09  9:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julian, Phillip; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org list

>> I did not install using the Xemacs installation tool, because
>> security measures at the bank (Bank of America) prevent such an
>> installation.

Are you not allowed to use the installation tool or are you not
allowed to install XEmacs in the standard places? If you can use the
installer you might be able to customise/reset the installation place...

The internal structure of directories in XEmacs should look like this
(for powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0 hard- and software, i.e., Apple Macs):

	bin
	lib
	lib/xemacs
	lib/xemacs/site-lisp
	lib/xemacs/site-modules
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/custom
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/custom/example-themes
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/eos
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/idd
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/photos
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/sparcworks
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/tests
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/tests/external-widget
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/toolbar
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/unicode
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/unicode/ibm
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/unicode/mule-ucs
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/unicode/other
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/etc/unicode/unicode-consortium
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/info
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/lisp
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/lisp/mule
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/lisp/term
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0/include
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0/include/m
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0/include/s
	lib/xemacs-21.5-b28/powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0/modules

--
Greetings

   Pete

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear satanic
things, but that's nothing, because if you play them forwards, they
install MS Windows.

* RE: Xemacs error
@ 2010-08-09 12:44     ` Julian, Phillip
From: Julian, Phillip @ 2010-08-09 12:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter_Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Pete,

Thanks for your help.

When all the Xemacs files are in the correct location, everything works.

I had Xemacs on my personal laptop, so I made the business laptop have
files in the same relative place, which solved all my problems.

Using the Xemacs Installer with a custom directory sounds like a great
idea.  However, changes were made to the Windows registry on Vista, and
I don't think the bank would allow that.

I will tell them about my solution, and that should make it easier for
other folks here that want a good editor program.

@ 2010-08-09 12:48   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2010-08-09 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Deniz Dogan <deniz.a.m.dogan@gmail.com> writes:

> This mailing list discusses GNU Emacs, not XEmacs. They are two
> different programs and the general opinion nowadays seems to be
> that XEmacs is legacy and few use it.

Actually, nowadays that's the general opinion about Emacs as well.

--
David Kastrup