all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Not all buffers shown in "Buffers" menu bar item
@ 2009-12-11  9:35 bostjanv
From: bostjanv @ 2009-12-11  9:35 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
I'm using emacs 23.1 on Ubuntu 9.10 and I noticed that not all buffers are
listed when menu bar item "Buffers" is clicked. To get all buffers one has
to select "List all buffers" (C-x C-b) option in the "Buffers" menu bar
item. For example, when I enter the command
    emacsclient --no-wait <file 1> <file 2>
only <file 1> appears on the Buffers list while <file 2> is listed only when
"LIst all buffers" is clicked. I may add that i've noticed this behavior on
other systems as well (not only Ubuntu). Can someone, please, describe the
rule according to which a buffer is included in the "Buffers" list?
Regards,
bostjanv

* RE: Not all buffers shown in "Buffers" menu bar item
@ 2009-12-11 15:59 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-12-11 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'bostjanv', Help-gnu-emacs

> I'm using emacs 23.1 on Ubuntu 9.10 and I noticed that not
> all buffers are listed when menu bar item "Buffers" is clicked.

Sounds like
http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4122

* RE: Not all buffers shown in "Buffers" menu bar item
@ 2009-12-12 19:30   ` bostjanv
From: bostjanv @ 2009-12-12 19:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:

>> I'm using emacs 23.1 on Ubuntu 9.10 and I noticed that not
>> all buffers are listed when menu bar item "Buffers" is clicked.
>
> Sounds like
> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4122

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. At the moment I am not sure that the behavior
described in bug report 4122 is related to my problem. Namely, I tried the
workaround mentioned in the link (M-x accelerate-menu), and it had no effect
on my problem. Specifically, after entering

emacsclient --no-wait <file 1> <file 2>

at the terminal, and after evaluating M-x accelerate-menu, <file 2> was
still not on the Buffers list. Further evidence that the two problems are
not related is that my problem occurs also on Windows while the
accelerate-menu command is X-Window only. Basically, I would like to submit
a bug report; but prior to that I need the information whether the behavior
I am describing (<file 2> not on Buffers list) is intended (by design) or
not.
Regards,

bostjanv
PS "emacsclient --no-wait <file 1> ; emacsclient --no-wait <file 2>" results
in both files ending up on the Buffers list.

* RE: Not all buffers shown in "Buffers" menu bar item
@ 2009-12-12 20:24     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-12-12 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'bostjanv', Help-gnu-emacs

> At the moment I am not sure that the behavior
> described in bug report 4122 is related to my problem.
> Namely, I tried the
> workaround mentioned in the link (M-x accelerate-menu), and
> it had no effect
> on my problem. Specifically, after entering
>
> emacsclient --no-wait <file 1> <file 2>
>
> at the terminal, and after evaluating M-x accelerate-menu,
> <file 2> was still not on the Buffers list. Further
> evidence that the two problems are not related is that my
> problem occurs also on Windows while the accelerate-menu
> command is X-Window only. Basically, I would like to submit
> a bug report; but prior to that I need the information
> whether the behavior I am describing (<file 2> not on
> Buffers list) is intended (by design) or not.

Unless someone does answer you about that, please submit a bug report - you
should find the answer that way, at least.

* Re: Not all buffers shown in "Buffers" menu bar item
       [not found] <mailman.12746.1260524166.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-01-22 15:20 ` Denis Howe
       [not found]   ` <mailman.56.1264240094.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Denis Howe @ 2010-01-22 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 11 2009, 9:35 am, bostjanv <bostj...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> emacs 23.1 on Ubuntu 9.10 and I noticed that not all
> buffers are listed when menu bar item "Buffers" is clicked.

Same here.  Emacs 22 and 23 on Ubuntu 9.10.  I think this is an
instance of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs22/+bug/415101.

* Re: Not all buffers shown in "Buffers" menu bar item
@ 2010-01-23  9:48   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.56.1264240094.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2010-01-23  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Denis Howe; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.01.2010 um 16:20 schrieb Denis Howe:

> On Dec 11 2009, 9:35 am, bostjanv wrote:
>
>> emacs 23.1 on Ubuntu 9.10 and I noticed that not all
>> buffers are listed when menu bar item "Buffers" is clicked.
>
> Same here.  Emacs 22 and 23 on Ubuntu 9.10.  I think this is an
> instance of https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/emacs22/+bug/415101
> .

This menu never showed all buffers, because there are GNU Emacs users
that have more than a dozen buffers open... (and the upper limit of
the number of open buffers in GNU Emacs is much larger than any screen
area)

This menu is the bug. It might as well disappear.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.
				– Ernest Jan Plugge

* Re: Not all buffers shown in "Buffers" menu bar item
@ 2010-01-23 11:39     ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2010-01-23 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: Emacs-Devel devel

I thinkPeter is right.

@ 2010-01-25  9:16       ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2010-01-25  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: Peter Dyballa, Emacs-Devel devel

> I thinkPeter is right.

I think the bug is that it doesn't group all buffers into submenus
like tabbar.el does.

http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

@ 2010-02-11  3:59     ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2010-02-11  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw