all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* font-lock woes
@ 2011-01-01  2:07 K. Richard Pixley
From: K. Richard Pixley @ 2011-01-01  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I find font-lock modes to be illegible and highly annoying.  Is there
any way I can turn them off, completely, across the board, entirely,
throughout my emacs?

(global-font-lock-mode 0) doesn't seem to work.  I have it in my
.emacs.el and I'm setting it manually and still when I visit a new file,
or any of a number of popup buffers arrive, they still have illegible
font-lock color settings.

--rich

* Re: font-lock woes
@ 2011-01-01  3:32 ` rusi
From: rusi @ 2011-01-01  3:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Jan 1, 7:07 am, "K. Richard Pixley" <r...@noir.com> wrote:
> I find font-lock modes to be illegible and highly annoying.  Is there
> any way I can turn them off, completely, across the board, entirely,
> throughout my emacs?
>
> (global-font-lock-mode 0) doesn't seem to work.  I have it in my
> .emacs.el and I'm setting it manually and still when I visit a new file,
> or any of a number of popup buffers arrive, they still have illegible
> font-lock color settings.
>
> --rich

Theres some bug here; certainly a doc-bug.
global-font-lock-mode's doc refers to
turn-on-font-lock-if-desired but that is undocumented

Both in emacs23 and 24

* Re: font-lock woes
@ 2011-01-01 15:16 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2011-01-01 15:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "K. Richard Pixley" <rich@noir.com>
> Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 18:07:00 -0800
>
> I find font-lock modes to be illegible and highly annoying.  Is there
> any way I can turn them off, completely, across the board, entirely,
> throughout my emacs?

Sadly, no, not without a lot of tweaking.

It may be more fruitful (and also more beneficial for others) to
report your annoyances as bugs (M-x report-emacs-bug), so they get
fixed in future releases.  The fact that there's no easy way of
turning it off may be a reason for one such bug report.