all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
@ 2005-03-07 15:29 romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-03-07 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi.

When I installed Emacs CVS 21.3.50 on my system,
the `$ ./configure' step ended up accompanied by the following output:

  Where should the build process find the source code?    /home/rodolfo/tmp/emacs
  What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/intel386.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          LUCID
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                /usr/X11R6/include
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   /usr/X11R6/lib
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no

. Now, I need Emacs to use png libraried. How to do so?
I tried with `$ ./configure --with-png' and also with
`$ ./configure --with-png=yes', but the above output would not change.
The same with jpeg, gif, tiff. I think all these libraries are installed
in my system, because there are many files with such extensions and, besides,
I can perfectly view jpeg images.
Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Rodolfo

6X velocizzare la tua navigazione a 56k? 6X Web Accelerator di Libero!
Scaricalo su INTERNET GRATIS 6X http://www.libero.it

* Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
@ 2005-03-07 16:16 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-03-07 16:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.03.2005 um 16:29 schrieb romeomedina@@libero..it:

> ./configure

Give configure a little help by adding '--help' to it on the command
line. This will explain, I hope so ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped. - Groucho Marx

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Es ist in Chicago verboten, dort zu essen, wo es gerade brennt.

* Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
       [not found] <mailman.2895.1110210915.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-03-07 22:38 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2005-03-07 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

"romeomedina\@libero\.it" <romeomedina@libero.it> writes:

> The same with jpeg, gif, tiff. I think all these libraries are
> installed in my system, because there are many files with such
> extensions and, besides, I can perfectly view jpeg images.  Any
> suggestion?

Are the development packages for those libraries also installed? Emacs
needs the header files to compile against.

* Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
@ 2005-03-08 13:49 ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2005-03-08 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> When I installed Emacs CVS 21.3.50 on my system,
> the `$ ./configure' step ended up accompanied by the following output:
>
>   Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
>   Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
>   Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
>   Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
>   Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
>   Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
>   Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no
>

> . Now, I need Emacs to use png libraried. How to do so?

I downloaded and installed: zlib-1.2.2.tar.gz, libpng-1.2.8-config.tar.gz,
tiff-3.7.1.tar.gz, libungif-4.1.3.tar.gz
and jpegsrc.v6b.tar.gz; then run '$ ./configure' again
and the above output turned into:

  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 yes
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no

. So, now it's okay for tiff and gif, but not for jpeg.
Why? The installation of jpeg seemed to have no problem.
Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Rodolfo

P.S.: I also downloaded Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz, but didn't see any
      README or Install file there. How shall I install it?

* Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
@ 2005-03-08 20:32   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-03-08 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.03.2005 um 14:49 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

> So, now it's okay for tiff and gif, but not for jpeg.
> Why? The installation of jpeg seemed to have no problem.
> Any suggestion?

I quite always forget that others do *not* install their Linux
development packages ... at least some are indispensable!

I can't suggest from that far remote, you'll have to look into
configure's log file. There all tests and their results are logged.
Maybe you need a more up to date JPEG package, version 6b?

> P.S.: I also downloaded Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz, but didn't see any
>       README or Install file there. How shall I install it?

There is a README.XAW3D file in xc/lib/Xaw3d. It tells how to install
using imake ... spend some time with it and imake and check the
Makefile made! Sometimes the support files for imake (the cf, tmpl, and
rules files in ≈ /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config are not always perfect).

--
Greetings

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
		-- 	Garfield

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete      <\
              _\     O  _
             |o \  _\\_/-\='
_____________(_)|-(_)  (_)___________________________________

* Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
@ 2005-03-10 10:13 ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2005-03-10 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> When I installed Emacs CVS 21.3.50 on my system,
> the `$ ./configure' step ended up accompanied by the following output:
>
>   Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
>   Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
>   Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
>   Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
>   Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
>   Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
>   Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no
>

> . Now, I need Emacs to use png libraried. How to do so?
> I think all those libraries are installed
> in my system, because there are many files with such extensions and,
> besides, I can perfectly view jpeg images.

Now it's o.k. for png, tiff, gif and jpeg, but I didn't manage to install
Xaw3d.
Here are the steps I followed (my system is Mandrakelinux 10.1 Community):

1) When I installed Madrake 10.1 Community, I chose the following
   package installation:
   - Office Workstation;
   - Multimedia station;
   - Internet Station;
   - Configuration;
   - KDE Workstation.

2) # urpmi gcc
   # urpmi cvs
   # urpmi libwxPythonGTK2.5_2
   # urpmi libgtk+2.0_0-devel
   # urpmi gcc-c++

3) From: http://www.zlib.net/
   I downloaded zlib-1.2.2.tar.gz and copied it into ~/tmp dir,
   and installed it with the usual `./configure', `make' and
   `make install' trilogy.

4) From: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5624
   I downloaded libpng-1.2.8-config.tar.gz and installed it with the usual
   `./configure', `make' and `make install' trilogy.

5) From: ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/pub/libtiff/
   I downloaded tiff-3.7.1.tar.gz and installed it with the usual
   `./configure', `make' and `make install' trilogy.

6) From: http://sourceforge.net/projects/libungif
   I downloaded libungif-4.1.3.tar.gz and installed it with the usual
   `./configure', `make' and `make install' trilogy.

7) From: http://site.n.ml.org/info/libjpeg/
   I downloaded libjpeg-6b.tar.gz and put it in ~/tmp. There,
   $ tar xzvf libjpeg-6b.tar.gz
   $ cd jpeg-6b
   $ ./configure --enable-shared
   $ make test
   $ make
   . The directory /usr/local/man/man1 didn't exist. I created it, with:
   # mkdir /usr/local/man
   # mkdir /usr/local/man/man1
   . Then,
   # make install

8) From the `emacs' directory (the source dir of Emacs-CVS)
   I did: `$ ./configure', and in the final output there was:

     Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                       no
     Does Emacs use -lXpm?                         yes
     Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                        yes
     Does Emacs use -ltiff?                        yes
     Does Emacs use -lungif?                       yes
     Does Emacs use -lpng?                         yes
     Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?         no

9) As for Xaw3d, from:
   ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/widgets/Xaw3d/R6.3/
   I downloaded Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz and put it into ~/tmp dir. There,
   according with what is suggested in the README.XAW3D file present
   in the distribution, I did:
   $ gunzip -c Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz | tar xpf -
   $ cd xc/lib/Xaw3d
   $ ../../config/imake/imake -I../../config/cf -DTOPDIR=../..
     -DCURRENTDIR=lib/Xaw3d
   , but got the following error message:
   bash: ../../config/imake/imake: No such file or directory

. Any suggestion about this last step?

Rodolfo

* Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
@ 2005-03-10 11:58   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2005-03-10 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.03.2005 um 11:13 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

>    $ ../../config/imake/imake -I../../config/cf -DTOPDIR=../..
>      -DCURRENTDIR=lib/Xaw3d
>    , but got the following error message:
>    bash: ../../config/imake/imake: No such file or directory

That's quite obvious: in this situation it is assumed that there is a
special development environment set up with the programme imake in
../../config/imake. And you need to substitute '../../config/cf' with
the *real* location of the cf files in your system, maybe
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config? Just try

	imake -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config -DTOPDIR=../..
-DCURRENTDIR=lib/Xaw3d

with your location of the imake/xmkmf configuration files *.cf!

--
Greetings

   Pete

One doesn't expect governments to obey the law because of some
higher moral development.  One expects them to obey the law because
they know that if they don't, those who aren't shot will be hanged.
                                                  --Michael Shirley

* Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
       [not found] <mailman.3255.1110453456.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-03-10 13:49 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2005-03-10 13:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 9) As for Xaw3d, from:
>    ftp://ftp.x.org/contrib/widgets/Xaw3d/R6.3/
>    I downloaded Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz and put it into ~/tmp dir. There,
>    according with what is suggested in the README.XAW3D file present
>    in the distribution, I did:

Make sure you get 1.5E.

>    $ gunzip -c Xaw3d-1.5.tar.gz | tar xpf -
>    $ cd xc/lib/Xaw3d
>    $ ../../config/imake/imake -I../../config/cf -DTOPDIR=../..
>      -DCURRENTDIR=lib/Xaw3d

Try just `xmkmf'.

* Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
@ 2005-03-11 10:47   ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2005-03-11 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Try just `xmkmf'.

I did so, and the output was:

[rodolfo@localhost Xaw3d]$ xmkmf
imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config

; but then when I did '$ make includes' and then '$ make depend',
as prescribed in the README.XAW3D file,
I got the following error message:

[rodolfo@localhost Xaw3d]$ make depend
bison -y -d laygram.y
/bin/sh: line 1: bison: command not found
make: *** [laygram.c] Error 127

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> That's quite obvious: in this situation it is assumed that there is a
> special development environment set up with the programme imake in
> ../../config/imake. And you need to substitute '../../config/cf' with
> the *real* location of the cf files in your system, maybe
> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config? Just try
>
> 	imake -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config -DTOPDIR=../..
>     -DCURRENTDIR=lib/Xaw3d
>
> with your location of the imake/xmkmf configuration files *.cf!

In the '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config' directory there are some *.cf files.
I did so:

$ imake -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config -DTOPDIR=../.. -DCURRENTDIR=lib/Xaw3d

, but all the same, at the '$ make depend' step I got the same
above error message.

Any suggestion?
Thanks indeed,
Rodolfo

* Re: How to make Emacs use image support libraries?
       [not found] <mailman.3434.1110541250.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-03-11 18:00 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-03-11 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
 > Stefan Monnier wrote:
 >>Try just `xmkmf'.
 >
 > I did so, and the output was:
 >
 > [rodolfo@localhost Xaw3d]$ xmkmf
 > imake -DUseInstalled -I/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/config
 >
 > ; but then when I did '$ make includes' and then '$ make depend',
 > as prescribed in the README.XAW3D file,
 > I got the following error message:
 >
 > [rodolfo@localhost Xaw3d]$ make depend
 > bison -y -d laygram.y
 > /bin/sh: line 1: bison: command not found
 > make: *** [laygram.c] Error 127

So install GNU bison.

--
Kevin Rodgers