all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs po-mode help request
@ 2018-12-01 18:31 MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe @ 2018-12-01 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am a translator for free software and I use Emac because po-mode
provides for an accessible tool to translate po files. My problem is
that while I use Emacs, I dont know to program in Lisp and I just can
copy-and-paste code. Thus I implemented the po-wrap feature via the
Emacs wiki.

My current problem is as follows: when I exit Emacs after I change a PO
file, Emacs automatically update the field "Last-Translation" with the
current date. All right. I am unable to get the sema about the
translator name and email (Last-translator field). I tried to implement
some code from po-mode+.el and to change some code in po-mode.el, but I
never can get the result. The feature seems to exist in the code but
without effect nor any mean to enable it or set it.

Any solution?

Thanks very much for any help.

Best regards

--
signature_jp_2
Logo Hypra 	JEAN-PHILIPPE MENGUAL

* Re: Emacs po-mode help request
@ 2018-12-02  2:37 ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-12-02  2:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: bug-gettext

Jean-Philippe,

I am putting the gettext list in Cc since the po-mode comes from there.
Also Bruno Haible is active on traduc.org and he probably can help too.

I have checked the po-mode+ code and indeed the po-auto-replace-revision-date function from po-mode is overridden by po-auto-update-header, which does seem to update the following fields:

"PO-Revision-Date"
"Last-Translator"
"Language-Team"
"X-Generator"

There is a setting for po-mode+ that you can modify in the Emacs customization:
(defcustom po-auto-update-header t
  "*Automatically update the header.  Value is nil, t, or ask."
  :type '(choice (const nil)
		 (const t)
		 (const ask))
  :group 'po)

So, maybe instead of trying to modify the code, you could first install po-mode+.el and then make sure it is activated?

Jean-Christophe Helary

@ 2018-12-02  6:32 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2018-12-02  6:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe <mengualjeanphi@free.fr>
> Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2018 19:31:29 +0100
>
> I am a translator for free software and I use Emac because po-mode
> provides for an accessible tool to translate po files. My problem is
> that while I use Emacs, I dont know to program in Lisp and I just can
> copy-and-paste code. Thus I implemented the po-wrap feature via the
> Emacs wiki.
>
> My current problem is as follows: when I exit Emacs after I change a PO
> file, Emacs automatically update the field "Last-Translation" with the
> current date. All right. I am unable to get the sema about the
> translator name and email (Last-translator field). I tried to implement
> some code from po-mode+.el and to change some code in po-mode.el, but I
> never can get the result. The feature seems to exist in the code but
> without effect nor any mean to enable it or set it.
>
> Any solution?

The minimal support included in Emacs for editing Gettext files is in
po.el.  That package doesn't define po-mode, it just allows Emacs to
deduce the encoding of the file correctly.  It also doesn't update any
headers.  So if your problem is with the headers, perhaps the simpler
po.el which comes with Emacs will be better suited to your needs?

* Re: Emacs po-mode help request
@ 2018-12-02 11:03   ` MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
       [not found]     ` <d468b355-f435-a267-0de4-7806d152061e-GANU6spQydw@public.gmane.org>
From: MENGUAL Jean-Philippe @ 2018-12-02 11:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean-Christophe Helary, help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: bug-gettext

Hi,

Thanks for this feedback. When I said I tried po-mode+, I meant I tried
to get code from there in po-mode.el. Successless. I dont't seem to be
able to use po-mode+ directly, as it is old and does not seem to work
with Emacs 25. It has not been updated for a long it seems. When I
install and enable it, Emacs reports variable errors and all a list I
cannot fix myself. Hence I installed gettext-el (po-mode.el) but did not
find there how to set my .emacs to get the result. All the more strange
as in po-mode.el some code seem to autoreplace Last-Translator and
Language-Team, but without effect.

Thanks for further feedback.

@ 2018-12-02 23:49       ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2018-12-02 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw)