all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* solaris 8 binaries of emacs?
@ 2009-10-20 13:47 metaperl
From: metaperl @ 2009-10-20 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I'm on a solaris 8 machine with no admin rights. And the admins will
not install emacs.

The machine has ucbcc on it, which emacs will not compile with (see
transcript below).

So, I would like an emacs binary for solaris 8 if possible. I've never
cross-compiled, but I do have Cygwin running on my desktop if that
makes it possible.

(TRANSCRIPT)

[tbrannon@natasha] [~/emacs-23.1] cc
Usage: ucbcc [ options ] files.  Use 'ucbcc -flags' for details
[tbrannon@natasha] [~/emacs-23.1] ./configure
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking for gcc... no
checking for cc... no
checking for cl.exe... no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log' for more details.
[tbrannon@natasha] [~/emacs-23.1]

* Re: solaris 8 binaries of emacs?
@ 2009-10-20 16:34 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.9175.1256056619.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-10-20 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: metaperl; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.10.2009 um 15:47 schrieb metaperl:

> [tbrannon@natasha] [~/emacs-23.1] ./configure
> checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
> checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no

How does it work with

	env CC=ucbcc [optional CFLAGS=...] ./configure

--
Greetings

   Pete

Eat the rich – the poor are tough and stringy.

@ 2009-10-20 17:00   ` metaperl
From: metaperl @ 2009-10-20 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[tbrannon@natasha] [~/tmp/emacs-23.1] ./configure
checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
checking for gcc... ucbcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...

@ 2009-10-20 22:07     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-10-20 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: metaperl; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 20.10.2009 um 19:00 schrieb metaperl:

> See `config.log' for more details.

Did you look here? In combination with at least 'man ucbcc' it might
help to find the proper flags...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Time flies like an error – but fruit flies like a banana!
                              (almost Groucho Marx)

@ 2009-10-20 22:13 ` despen
From: despen @ 2009-10-20 22:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

metaperl <schemelab@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm on a solaris 8 machine with no admin rights. And the admins will
> not install emacs.
>
> The machine has ucbcc on it, which emacs will not compile with (see
> transcript below).
>
> So, I would like an emacs binary for solaris 8 if possible. I've never
> cross-compiled, but I do have Cygwin running on my desktop if that
> makes it possible.
>
> (TRANSCRIPT)
>
> [tbrannon@natasha] [~/emacs-23.1] cc
> Usage: ucbcc [ options ] files.  Use 'ucbcc -flags' for details
> [tbrannon@natasha] [~/emacs-23.1] ./configure
> checking build system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
> checking host system type... sparc-sun-solaris2.8
> checking for gcc... no
> checking for cc... no
> checking for cl.exe... no
> configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
> See `config.log' for more details.
> [tbrannon@natasha] [~/emacs-23.1]

ucbcc is not a compiler.
Don't waste your time trying to compile with it.

If you have /usr/ucb in your path, get rid of it.
Hopefully you will find a "cc" once you get that out of the way.

If not, you'll have to install gcc too.
It's possible to install gcc and emacs from source.
You just need enough space and the patience.

I had the same issues with admins not wanting to install XEmacs.
I convinced our admins to delegate the task to me and provide the space.

I don't remember Sol 8 specifically, but I know later versions
of Solaris include packages for emacs/xemacs but I still prefer to
compile my own versions.