all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Insert date and Time
@ 2010-02-25  8:29 Tugello
From: Tugello @ 2010-02-25  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello,
good morning to all,I'm newbie with emacs
my question is about how to insert current date and time, using a short key
combination instead to write they completely .
someone ave any suggestion ?
thanks in advance

* Re: Insert date and Time
@ 2010-02-25 14:41 ` Tim Visher
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tim Visher @ 2010-02-25 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tugello; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 3:29 AM, Tugello <kompy01@yahoo.it> wrote:
> good morning to all,I'm newbie with emacs
> my question is about how to insert current date and time, using a short key
> combination instead to write they completely .
> someone ave any suggestion ?
> thanks in advance

I use this function to insert a time stamp at point:

    (defun insert-time-stamp ()
      "Inserts a time stamp 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM AM/PM'"
      (interactive)
      (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d - %I:%M %p")))

I just call that via `M-x insert-time-stamp` unless a higher level
function calls it.  You could call it with a short cut though with
something like

    (global-set-key (kbd "<f12>") 'insert-time-stamp)

if you wanted.

You'll need to evaluate those in your scratch buffer to get them in
the current emacs session.  Paste them in and then `M-x eval-buffer`.

If you want them in all emacs sessions, put them in your .emacs file.
`C-h r m Init File RET`.  Also, [Yegge's .emacs
file](http://steve.yegge.googlepages.com/my-dot-emacs-file) is worth a
read.

Hope that helps.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.

http://burningones.com/
http://five.sentenc.es/ - Spend less time on e-mail

* Re: Insert date and Time
@ 2010-02-25 14:49 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.1862.1267108938.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-02-25 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tugello wrote:
> Hello,
> good morning to all,I'm newbie with emacs
> my question is about how to insert current date and time, using a short key
> combination instead to write they completely .
> someone ave any suggestion ?

(defun insert-current-time ()
   "Insert the result of `current-time-string' at point."
   (interactive)
   (insert (current-time-string)))

(global-set-key (kbd "C-c t") 'insert-current-time)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Insert date and Time
       [not found] <mailman.1861.1267108056.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-02-25 14:50 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-02-25 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tugello <kompy01@yahoo.it> writes:

> Hello,
> good morning to all,I'm newbie with emacs
> my question is about how to insert current date and time, using a short key
> combination instead to write they completely .
> someone ave any suggestion ?
> thanks in advance

I type: C-u M-! date RET

A purely emacs lisp alternative would be:
M-: (insert (current-time-string)) RET

Of course, if you have to do it often, you can do:

(defun insert-timestamp ()
  (interactive)
  (insert (current-time-string)))

(global-set-key (kbd "<f8>") 'insert-timestamp)

so that you only have to type F8 to insert the timestamp.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Insert date and Time
@ 2010-02-25 19:20   ` David Rogoff
From: David Rogoff @ 2010-02-25 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-02-25 06:50:34 -0800, Pascal J. Bourguignon said:

> Tugello <kompy01@yahoo.it> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>> good morning to all,I'm newbie with emacs
>> my question is about how to insert current date and time, using a short key
>> combination instead to write they completely .
>> someone ave any suggestion ?
>> thanks in advance
>
> I type: C-u M-! date RET
>
> A purely emacs lisp alternative would be:
> M-: (insert (current-time-string)) RET
>

> Of course, if you have to do it often, you can do:
>
> (defun insert-timestamp ()
>   (interactive)
>   (insert (current-time-string)))
>
> (global-set-key (kbd "<f8>") 'insert-timestamp)
>
> so that you only have to type F8 to insert the timestamp.

Here's a couple of versions I use with some formatting and chioce of
just date or date and time:

(defun insert-date ()
  "Insert current date at point, and newline if point is at beginning of line."
  (interactive)
  (if (prog1 (bolp)
        (let ((time (current-time-string)))
          (insert (substring time 4 11) (substring time 20 24)))
        )
      ;; insert newline if point was at beginning of line
      (insert ?\n))
  )

;; output looks like this:  Feb 25 2010

;; (global-set-key '[(meta f12)] 'insert-date)

(defun insert-date-and-time ()
  "Insert current date and time at point, and newline if point is at
beginning of line."
  (interactive)
  (if (prog1 (bolp)
        (let ((time (current-time-string)))
          (insert (substring time 4 11) (substring time 20 24)
(substring time 10 19) ) )
        )
      ;; insert newline if point was at beginning of line
      (insert ?\n))
  )

(global-set-key '[A-home] 'insert-date-and-time)

;; output looks like this:  Feb 25 2010 11:05:43

@ 2010-02-25 22:23 ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2010-02-25 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tugello <kompy01@yahoo.it> writes:

> Hello,
> good morning to all,I'm newbie with emacs
> my question is about how to insert current date and time, using a short key
> combination instead to write they completely .
> someone ave any suggestion ?
> thanks in advance

Have a look at the commentry section of timestamp.el. It shows how this
can be done.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

@ 2010-02-25 22:26 ` B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2010-02-25 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tugello wrote:
> Hello,
> good morning to all,I'm newbie with emacs
> my question is about how to insert current date and time, using a short key
> combination instead to write they completely .
> someone ave any suggestion ?
> thanks in advance

Also, if you need only one time-stamp per file and it's acceptable to
have this time stamp at the top of the buffer, you can put

(add-hook 'write-file-hooks 'time-stamp)

into the .emacs and then the line (or similar)

;; Time-stamp: "2010-02-19 12:15:41 userloginname"

near the top every file you want time-stamped.

The string part is formatted per variable 'time-stamp-format.

Every time the file is saved this commented line will be updated.

Ed

* RE: Insert date and Time
@ 2010-02-25 22:52 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.1862.1267108938.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-02-25 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Tugello', Help-gnu-emacs

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TimeStamp

* Re: Insert date and Time
@ 2010-02-26  6:26   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2010-02-26  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: gnu-emacs-sources

Drew Adams wrote:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TimeStamp

There is a trade-off between simplicity and flexibility, and the solutions on
the wiki favor simplicity over flexibility.  Here's my attempt to support the
user's preference for different date and time formats while still minimizing
keystrokes.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

[-- Attachment #2: insert-time-string.el --]

* RE: Insert date and Time
@ 2010-02-26 15:02     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2010-02-26 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Kevin Rodgers', help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: gnu-emacs-sources

> > http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TimeStamp
>
> There is a trade-off between simplicity and flexibility, and
> the solutions on the wiki favor simplicity over flexibility.
> Here's my attempt to support the user's preference for
> different date and time formats while still minimizing
> keystrokes.

If you post it to the wiki also, then there will be no such distinction. ;-)

Just a suggestion.

* Re: Insert date and Time
       [not found] ` <mailman.1862.1267108938.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-03-02  8:40   ` Uwe Siart
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2134.1267526036.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Uwe Siart @ 2010-03-02  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:

> I use this function to insert a time stamp at point:
>
>     (defun insert-time-stamp ()
>       "Inserts a time stamp 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM AM/PM'"
>       (interactive)
>       (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d - %I:%M %p")))

Nice gimmick. To make it perfect I'd like insert-time-stamp to replace
region (if there is a region). How to achieve this? (insert "string")
does not replace region but inserts at point.

--
Uwe

* Re: Insert date and Time
@ 2010-03-02 10:36     ` Andreas Röhler
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2134.1267526036.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2010-03-02 10:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Uwe Siart wrote:
> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I use this function to insert a time stamp at point:
>>
>>     (defun insert-time-stamp ()
>>       "Inserts a time stamp 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM AM/PM'"
>>       (interactive)
>>       (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d - %I:%M %p")))
>
> Nice gimmick. To make it perfect I'd like insert-time-stamp to replace
> region (if there is a region). How to achieve this? (insert "string")
> does not replace region but inserts at point.

May be that way:

(defun insert-time-stamp ()
  "Inserts a time stamp 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM AM/PM'"
  (interactive "*")
  (let ((beg (when (region-active-p)
               (region-beginning)))
	(end (when
                 (region-active-p) (region-end))))
    (when (and beg end)
      (delete-region beg end)))
  (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d - %I:%M %p")))

Andreas

--
https://code.launchpad.net/~a-roehler/python-mode
https://code.launchpad.net/s-x-emacs-werkstatt/

* Re: Insert date and Time
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2134.1267526036.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-03-02 13:25       ` Uwe Siart
From: Uwe Siart @ 2010-03-02 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

> Uwe Siart wrote:
>> Nice gimmick. To make it perfect I'd like insert-time-stamp to replace
>> region (if there is a region). How to achieve this? (insert "string")
>> does not replace region but inserts at point.
>
> May be that way:
>
> (defun insert-time-stamp ()
>   "Inserts a time stamp 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM AM/PM'"
>   (interactive "*")
>   (let ((beg (when (region-active-p)
>                (region-beginning)))
> 	(end (when
>                  (region-active-p) (region-end))))
>     (when (and beg end)
>       (delete-region beg end)))
>   (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d - %I:%M %p")))

Quite the thing. Many thanks!

--
Uwe

* Re: Insert date and Time
       [not found]     ` <mailman.2134.1267526036.14305.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-03-05 15:06       ` Jim Diamond
From: Jim Diamond @ 2010-03-05 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2010-03-02 at 06:36 AST, Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> wrote:
> Uwe Siart wrote:
>> Tim Visher <tim.visher@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I use this function to insert a time stamp at point:
>>>
>>>     (defun insert-time-stamp ()
>>>       "Inserts a time stamp 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM AM/PM'"
>>>       (interactive)
>>>       (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d - %I:%M %p")))
>>
>> Nice gimmick. To make it perfect I'd like insert-time-stamp to replace
>> region (if there is a region). How to achieve this? (insert "string")
>> does not replace region but inserts at point.
>>

> May be that way:
>
> (defun insert-time-stamp ()
>   "Inserts a time stamp 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM AM/PM'"
>   (interactive "*")
>   (let ((beg (when (region-active-p)
>                (region-beginning)))
> 	(end (when
>                  (region-active-p) (region-end))))
>     (when (and beg end)
>       (delete-region beg end)))
>   (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d - %I:%M %p")))

Andreas,

this seems gratuitously complicated.  Is there anything wrong with

(defun insert-time-stamp ()
  "Inserts a time stamp 'YYYY-MM-DD HH:MM AM/PM'"
  (interactive "*")
  (when (region-active-p)
      (delete-region (region-beginning) (region-end)))
  (insert (format-time-string "%Y-%m-%d - %I:%M %p")))

Sorta curious, since I am no elisp wizard.

Cheers.
			Jim