all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Blurred fonts with Emacs 22.2
@ 2008-05-20  5:35 Luke Mawbey
From: Luke Mawbey @ 2008-05-20  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've just tried upgrading emacs from 21.3 to 22.2 on a Windows XP PC. Now my
status bar and any source code appear blurry. (This wasn't the case in 21.3)
It appears to be anything that uses Courier New. The Emacs splash screen
(using Arial/graphics) is perfectly crisp.

I'm able to get crisp fonts again by setting w32-use-w32-font-dialog to nil,
then changing the font through the menu options->Set
Font/Fontset->Courier->Courier 12x9, but this makes all the text large.

I've installed emacs 22.2 in the same location as 21.3 was, but I've removed
and replaced the entire emacs directory.

Is there a way around this?

Regards,
Luke.

* RE: Blurred fonts with Emacs 22.2
@ 2008-05-20 13:47 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-05-20 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Luke Mawbey', help-gnu-emacs

> I've just tried upgrading emacs from 21.3 to 22.2 on a
> Windows XP PC. Now my status bar and any source code
> appear blurry. (This wasn't the case in 21.3) It appears
> to be anything that uses Courier New. The Emacs splash
> screen (using Arial/graphics) is perfectly crisp.
>
> I'm able to get crisp fonts again by setting
> w32-use-w32-font-dialog to nil, then changing the font
> through the menu options->Set Font/Fontset->Courier->Courier
> 12x9, but this makes all the text large.
>
> I've installed emacs 22.2 in the same location as 21.3 was,
> but I've removed and replaced the entire emacs directory.
>
> Is there a way around this?

Perhaps you have anti-aliasing turned on, and you find the result too blurry? I,
for one, prefer anti-aliasing, because it makes text less jagged.

To turn it off (might be different in Vista):

* right-click the desktop, choose Properties
* click Appearance tab
* click Effects button
* uncheck Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts

P.S. Use plain text, not HTML, for this mailing list.