all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* M-x term strange behaviour.
@ 2008-09-10  9:43 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-09-10  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-emacs-help

Hello,

I'm using "M-x term"  to get a shell inside emacs.

But it seems to not working as expected: for example when starting less(1),
inspecting a file (I know I could have used emacs for that) and exiting, the
terminal window is not restored as it was before starting less(1). Instead the
content of the file visited by less(1) still appears.

Of course this behaviour does not occur when using less(1) inside an xterm.

Can anybody give me some advices here ?

Should I use a different terminal (M-x terminal-emulator...) ?

Thanks
--
Francis

* Re: M-x term strange behaviour.
@ 2008-09-10 10:04 ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2008-09-10 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau; +Cc: gnu-emacs-help

"Francis Moreau" <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I'm using "M-x term"  to get a shell inside emacs.
>
> But it seems to not working as expected: for example when starting less(1),
> inspecting a file (I know I could have used emacs for that) and exiting, the
> terminal window is not restored as it was before starting less(1). Instead the
> content of the file visited by less(1) still appears.
>
> Of course this behaviour does not occur when using less(1) inside an xterm.
>
> Can anybody give me some advices here ?
>
> Should I use a different terminal (M-x terminal-emulator...) ?
>
> Thanks
That may be an advandage, you can keep the text and copy it, yank it
...etc
When you don't need it anymore, just C-l.

--
A + Thierry Volpiatto
Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

* Re: M-x term strange behaviour.
@ 2008-09-10 10:21   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-09-10 10:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thierry Volpiatto; +Cc: gnu-emacs-help

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:04 PM, Thierry Volpiatto
<thierry.volpiatto@gmail.com> wrote:
> That may be an advandage, you can keep the text and copy it, yank it
> ...etc

It all depends on what you're doing.

In my case I loose the  context I'm working on and it bothers me.
But I agree that in sometimes it can be usefull.

> A + Thierry Volpiatto
> Location: Saint-Cyr-Sur-Mer - France

sweet place to live ;)

bye
--

@ 2008-09-10 12:22 ` Andrea Vettorello
From: Andrea Vettorello @ 2008-09-10 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-emacs-help

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:43 AM, Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

> Can anybody give me some advices here ?
>
> Should I use a different terminal (M-x terminal-emulator...) ?

IIIRC you can modify that behaviour via termcap/terminfo (I learned
too much about it when I was looking for a way to disable the blinking
cursor everywhere)

Probably related link:
http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html#xterm_tite

--
Andrea

* Re: M-x term strange behaviour.
@ 2008-09-10 13:09 ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2008-09-10 13:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francis Moreau, gnu-emacs-help

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 11:43:14AM +0200, Francis Moreau wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I'm using "M-x term"  to get a shell inside emacs.
>
>But it seems to not working as expected: for example when starting less(1),
>inspecting a file (I know I could have used emacs for that) and exiting, the
>terminal window is not restored as it was before starting less(1). Instead the
>content of the file visited by less(1) still appears.
>
>Of course this behaviour does not occur when using less(1) inside an xterm.
>
>Can anybody give me some advices here ?
>
>Should I use a different terminal (M-x terminal-emulator...) ?

You can get the behaviour you want with less in the eshell, but as a
the eshell differs from expected behaviour [1]

I still don't know when one would choose terminal-emulator, would someone
be able to provide an example when terminal-emulator would be required
for a task that term could not do?

Cheers,
Jonathan.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/66hxbp

* Re: M-x term strange behaviour.
@ 2008-09-10 19:05   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-09-10 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Groll; +Cc: gnu-emacs-help

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 3:09 PM, Jonathan Groll <lists@groll.co.za> wrote:
> You can get the behaviour you want with less in the eshell, but as a
> the eshell differs from expected behaviour [1]

yes I would prefer use term + bash.

> I still don't know when one would choose terminal-emulator, would someone
> be able to provide an example when terminal-emulator would be required
> for a task that term could not do?

no idea sorry.

--

@ 2008-09-10 20:50   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2008-09-10 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrea Vettorello; +Cc: gnu-emacs-help

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Andrea Vettorello
<andrea.vettorello@gmail.com> wrote:
> IIIRC you can modify that behaviour via termcap/terminfo (I learned
> too much about it when I was looking for a way to disable the blinking
> cursor everywhere)
>
> Probably related link:
> http://invisible-island.net/xterm/xterm.faq.html#xterm_tite

arg, I feared that's a terminfo stuff...

Running M-x term start a 'eterm-color' terminal where terminfo symbols
smcup and rmcup are not defined. Actually looking into the
eterm-color.ti file, these symbols are commented:

$ tail /usr/share/emacs/22.2/etc/e/eterm-color.ti
 	smso=\E[7m,
#	smcup=\E[?47h,
#	rmcup=\E[?47l,
#      rs2 may need to be added

So I tried to uncomment them and recompile the eterm-color.ti but
nothing change...

xterm terminal defines differently but doing the same doesn't improve anything.

Now I'm wondering if eterm-color terminal support these capabilities at all.

I'm clueless for now.
--
Francis