all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* .Xresources
@ 2008-02-12 20:46 Sean Sieger
       [not found] ` <mailman.7355.1202858373.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sean Sieger @ 2008-02-12 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

If I have

Emacs.pointerColor: red

in my .Xresources, then why would it still be white?

Thank you.

* Re: .Xresources
@ 2008-02-12 23:19 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.7355.1202858373.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-12 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 12.02.2008 um 21:46 schrieb Sean Sieger:

> If I have
>
> Emacs.pointerColor: red
>
> in my .Xresources, then why would it still be white?

Because mine is red now! Although I have:

	Emacs*pointerColor:     DarkOrchid4

Actually it's red in all my GNU Emacsen 23.0.x ... Looks like a bug.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most
people use Windows, is like saying that all other restaurants serve
food that is inferior to McDonald's.

* Re: .Xresources
       [not found] ` <mailman.7355.1202858373.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-02-13  7:36   ` Tim X
From: Tim X @ 2008-02-13  7:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 12.02.2008 um 21:46 schrieb Sean Sieger:
>
>> If I have
>>
>> Emacs.pointerColor: red
>>
>> in my .Xresources, then why would it still be white?
>
> Because mine is red now! Although I have:
>
> 	Emacs*pointerColor:     DarkOrchid4
>
> Actually it's red in all my GNU Emacsen 23.0.x ... Looks like a bug.
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete
>
> Claiming that the Macintosh is inferior to Windows because most people use
> Windows, is like saying that all other restaurants serve  food that is
> inferior to McDonald's.

I have mine set to white and its white. This is in emacs 22.1 and CVS
emacs

The problem may be related to how your .Xresources is loaded (i.e. xrdb
load versus xrdb merge) and how you define the resource
e.g. Emacs.pointerColor versus emacs.pointerColor versus
Emacs*ponterColor etc.

I'd try an xrdb load and see if that helps (working from memory, but I
think when you do a merge, your local .Xresources won't override a more
'specific' setting that may be in a site wide app-defaults file. Check
the manual for xrdb - its been a long time since I last read it and I
could easily be wrong.

Other possible causes -

- Some window managers can override things - notably KDE
- .emacs settings will override .Xresources I think because they are
  loaded last. Maybe there is a setting in there
- Using the color themes package with a theme that sets the pointer
- color.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au

* Re: .Xresources
@ 2008-02-13 10:39     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-13 10:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim X; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.02.2008 um 08:36 schrieb Tim X:

> - .emacs settings will override .Xresources I think because they are
>   loaded last.

That's it! But according to *-frame-alist it should be

	(cursor-color . "DarkGreen")

Anyway, could be the way I set *-frame-alist's for different GNU
Emacs versions is faulty ...

Xrdb uses load in my case.

One common error in this area can also be, that the ELisp entity
cursor-color describes the colour of the text cursor, a hollow or
filled block or line (bar), while the mouse cursor, commonly arrow
shaped, is determine by the X resource pointerColor.

--
Greetings

   Pete                                           0
                                            %-/\_//
                                             (*)(*)

* Re: .Xresources
@ 2008-02-13 15:10       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-13 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sean Sieger; +Cc: Tim X, help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.02.2008 um 11:39 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> That's it! But according to *-frame-alist it should be
>
> 	(cursor-color . "DarkGreen")
>
> Anyway, could be the way I set *-frame-alist's for different GNU
> Emacs versions is faulty ...

I corrected my *-frame-alist's. The initial frame follows most of the
settings in initial-frame-alist, including the text cursor colour,
but its geometry and mouse cursor colour come from X resources.
Default-frame-alist is followed OK, but no strict tests on both.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Wasting time is an important part of living.