all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to print only one page of a file?
@ 2005-02-14 18:19 romeomedina
From: romeomedina @ 2005-02-14 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Excuse such a basic question:
is it possible, and how?, when printing a file,
to tell Emacs to print just a desired page?
I searched all over the Gnu Emacs Manual but didn't find any answer.

Thanks,
Rodolfo

Navighi a 2 MEGA e i primi 3 mesi sono GRATIS.
Scegli Libero Adsl Flat senza limiti su http://www.libero.it

* RE: How to print only one page of a file?
@ 2005-02-14 18:31 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2005-02-14 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Use library printing.el for the most convenient interface to printing in
Emacs. You can select a page as the region, then print the region (selected
text). The library is available in Emacs 21 or here:
http://www.cpqd.com.br/~vinicius/emacs/#printing.el. - Drew

       [not found] <mailman.2114.1108406018.2841.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-14 18:46 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-02-14 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

romeomedina@libero.it wrote:
 > Excuse such a basic question:
 > is it possible, and how?, when printing a file,
 > to tell Emacs to print just a desired page?
 > I searched all over the Gnu Emacs Manual but didn't find any answer.

C-x n p		; narrow-to-page
C-x h		; mark-whole-buffer
M-x lpr-buffer	; or print-buffer, ps-print-buffer,
ps-print-buffer-with-faces
C-x n w		; widen

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: How to print only one page of a file?
@ 2005-02-21 11:55   ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2005-02-21 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Drew Adams wrote:

> Use library printing.el for the most convenient interface to printing in
> Emacs. You can select a page as the region, then print the region
(selected
> text). The library is available in Emacs 21 or here:
> http://www.cpqd.com.br/~vinicius/emacs/#printing.el.

Thanks, Drew, I'll have a look at it in the next days.

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> C-x n p		; narrow-to-page
> C-x h		; mark-whole-buffer
> M-x lpr-buffer	; or print-buffer, ps-print-buffer,
> ps-print-buffer-with-faces
> C-x n w		; widen

Thanks, Kevin:
the only problem is that in the buffer I can't scroll
the page I want to print because when I scroll point moves
and so the page itself goes on changing. Any hint about this?
An alternative way is to perform a posctscript print preview
(from the file menu) and then print the desired page from the
.ps file.
But now one more printing problem:
I'll start a new topic for it.

Thanks,
cheers,
Rodolfo

* Re: How to print only one page of a file?
       [not found] <mailman.872.1108988670.32256.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2005-02-22 19:38 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-02-22 19:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
 > Rodolfo Medina wrote:
 >>Excuse such a basic question:
 >>is it possible, and how?, when printing a file,
 >>to tell Emacs to print just a desired page?
 >>I searched all over the Gnu Emacs Manual but didn't find any answer.
 >
 > Kevin Rodgers wrote:
 >
 >>C-x n p		; narrow-to-page
 >>C-x h		; mark-whole-buffer
 >>M-x lpr-buffer	; or print-buffer, ps-print-buffer,
 >>ps-print-buffer-with-faces
 >>C-x n w		; widen
 >
 > Thanks, Kevin:
 > the only problem is that in the buffer I can't scroll
 > the page I want to print because when I scroll point moves
 > and so the page itself goes on changing. Any hint about this?

narrow-to-page has nothing to do with what is displayed; see the
page-delimiter variable.

 > An alternative way is to perform a posctscript print preview
 > (from the file menu) and then print the desired page from the
 > .ps file.

Well, there you go.

--
Kevin Rodgers