all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to change the file encoding
@ 2009-11-12 22:00 大熊
From: 大熊 @ 2009-11-12 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

For work reason, I always process some kinds of file encodings: gbk,
shift-jis, utf8, utf16, ...
By vim, after open or new a file,  I can use ": e ++enc=encoding" or
": w ++enc=encoding" to chang the file encoding which is different
from the default setting.
How do it under emacs, a single command or a package?

Thanks!

--
不是所有的特仑苏都是牛奶

* Re: How to change the file encoding
@ 2009-11-14 23:49 ` Wang Lei
From: Wang Lei @ 2009-11-14 23:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

大熊 <bearsprite@gmail.com> writes:

> For work reason, I always process some kinds of file encodings: gbk,
> shift-jis, utf8, utf16, ...
> By vim, after open or new a file,  I can use ": e ++enc=encoding" or
> ": w ++enc=encoding" to chang the file encoding which is different
> from the default setting.
> How do it under emacs, a single command or a package?
>
> Thanks!
Check this out,
C-x RET r , revert-buffer-with-coding-system
C-x RET l , set-language-environment
Maybe it's what you want.

--
Regards,
Lei

* Re: How to change the file encoding
@ 2009-11-15  4:07 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-11-15  4:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 06:00:56 +0800
> From: =?UTF-8?B?5aSn54aK?= <bearsprite@gmail.com>
>
> For work reason, I always process some kinds of file encodings: gbk,
> shift-jis, utf8, utf16, ...
> By vim, after open or new a file,  I can use ": e ++enc=encoding" or
> ": w ++enc=encoding" to chang the file encoding which is different
> from the default setting.
> How do it under emacs, a single command or a package?

Type "C-x RET c <encoding> RET" before the command, e.g., to visit a
file which you know is in UTF-8, type

       C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f <filename> RET