all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Open a info file manually
@ 2009-11-09  8:05 ibear
From: ibear @ 2009-11-09  8:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use Emacs 23.1

I want to open a info file somewhere, and Google result is I can use the
bind key "c-u c-h i"

But I also will know whether there is a function do the same work?

* Open a info file manually
@ 2009-11-10  2:03 大熊
       [not found] ` <mailman.10709.1258237920.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: 大熊 @ 2009-11-10  2:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I use Emacs 23.1

I want to open a info file somewhere, and Google result is I can use
the bind key "c-u c-h i"

and I will know whether there is a function or command do the same work?

* Re: Open a info file manually
       [not found] <mailman.10475.1257931307.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-11 10:00 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2009-11-11 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

大熊 <bearsprite@gmail.com> writes:

> I use Emacs 23.1
>
> I want to open a info file somewhere, and Google result is I can use
> the bind key "c-u c-h i"
>
> and I will know whether there is a function or command do the same work?

C-h k C-h i tells me

C-h i runs the command info, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
function in `info.el'.

It is bound to C-h i, <f1> i, <help> i.

(info &optional FILE-OR-NODE BUFFER)

Enter Info, the documentation browser.
Optional argument FILE-OR-NODE specifies the file to examine;
the default is the top-level directory of Info.

[...]

--
David Kastrup

* Re: Open a info file manually
       [not found] <mailman.10474.1257931292.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-11 14:10 ` Dmitry Dzhus
From: Dmitry Dzhus @ 2009-11-11 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

ibear wrote:
> I use Emacs 23.1
>
> I want to open a info file somewhere, and Google result is I can use the
> bind key "c-u c-h i"

Indeed. `C-h i` is a default keybinding for `info` function which
invokes an Info browser. When this function is called with prefix
argument using `C-u C-h i`, a file name is read from the minibuffer.

> But I also will know whether there is a function do the same work?

If you mean doing this from your Emacs Lisp code,
(info "/path/to/file.info") should do the work.
--
Happy Hacking.

http://sphinx.net.ru^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 10+ messages in thread

* Re: Open a info file manually
@ 2009-11-11 15:26 ` tomas
From: tomas @ 2009-11-11 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: ibear; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Open a info file manually
@ 2009-11-11 18:58   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-11-11 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, ibear

Am 11.11.2009 um 16:26 schrieb tomas:

> Hm. I don't quite understand what you want to do. Are you looking
> for a
> Lisp function to load an info file? Are you trying to load an info
> file
> given its path (as opposed to given an index entry)?

I started to think of a function that is like C-h i and does not look
up local information but googles for it. Therefore this function
would be bound to C-u C-h i...

W3m could be something, but it is more like a general solution to
access the internet. Maybe a package like those which look up in a
thesaurus words with the same meaning or which translate a word can
be a start. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/mthesaur.el ? At
least Emacs wiki could be a start to search for more.

Let's wait for some possible feedback!

--
Greetings

   Pete
                       ~  o
                        ~_\\_/\
                       ~  O   O

* Re: Open a info file manually
@ 2009-11-12  9:44 ` 大熊
       [not found] ` <mailman.10709.1258237920.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: 大熊 @ 2009-11-12  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

2009/11/10 大熊 <bearsprite@gmail.com>:
> I use Emacs 23.1
>
> I want to open a info file somewhere, and Google result is I can use
> the bind key "c-u c-h i"
>
> and I will know whether there is a function or command do the same work?

when I press "c-u c-h i", the minibuffer will prompt me:

    Info file name: D:\emacs\bin/

and I can input a info file's full path to open the info file in Info-Mode

So can I use the [alt-x + XXXX] mode? or bind this operation to some key?

--
不是所有的特仑苏都是牛奶

* Re: Open a info file manually
       [not found] ` <mailman.10709.1258237920.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-11-15 10:44   ` Ilya Zakharevich
From: Ilya Zakharevich @ 2009-11-15 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-11-12, ?? <bearsprite@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I want to open a info file somewhere, and Google result is I can use
>> the bind key "c-u c-h i"
>>
>> and I will know whether there is a function or command do the same work?

> when I press "c-u c-h i", the minibuffer will prompt me:
>
>     Info file name: D:\emacs\bin/
>
> and I can input a info file's full path to open the info file in Info-Mode
>
> So can I use the [alt-x + XXXX] mode? or bind this operation to some key?

  c-h f c-h i

Then inspect the help menu.

Hope this helps,
Ilya

* Re: Open a info file manually
@ 2009-11-15 20:31     ` Sean Sieger
From: Sean Sieger @ 2009-11-15 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

    Am 11.11.2009 um 16:26 schrieb tomas:

    > Hm. I don't quite understand what you want to do. Are you looking
    > for a
    > Lisp function to load an info file? Are you trying to load an info
    > file
    > given its path (as opposed to given an index entry)?

    I started to think of a function that is like C-h i and does not look
    up local information but googles for it. Therefore this function
    would be bound to C-u C-h i...

    W3m could be something, but it is more like a general solution to
    access the internet. Maybe a package like those which look up in a
    thesaurus words with the same meaning or which translate a word can
    be a start. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/mthesaur.el ? At
    least Emacs wiki could be a start to search for more.

    Let's wait for some possible feedback!

I often wished that along with the all-important M-$, that I could look
up a word in the Random House Unabridged Dictionary (used by
Dictionary.com), it's really a fine way to look up the etymologies and
American English pronunciations of words.

Along with `backing out of' GNU/Emacs with C-u C-h i, I was thinking of
the possibility of backing out of our incredible editor with C-u M-$ (or
maybe a more appropriate binding than a spelling-related one) to get to
a resource like Dictionary.com.

And now I can!  Thanks for the prompting, Pete!

I googled `emacswiki dictionary' and there it was:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DictionaryDotCom

I know this comes unsolicited but, my three favorite tools on this
planet are my Bianchi Pista, the Klein Haven Wire Rope Grip (I was an
inverted CM chain hoist rigger for a lot of years) and the GNU/Emacs
text editor.  AND IT JUST GOT EVEN BETTER.

I installed w3m (on Ubuntu 9.10), got emacs-w3m from CVS and put the
code from emacswiki in my dotemacs:

;;; w3m
(require 'w3m-load)
;; dictionary
(global-set-key (kbd "C-c d")
                (lambda ()
                  (interactive)
                  (w3m-goto-url
                   (format "http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/%s"
                           (read-string "Search word: " (current-word))))))

Right?!  No C-<space>, M-f, M-w, no nothing, just C-c d!  Anywhere!

My one question is rooted in installing CVS emacs-w3m:  was I really
really wrong doing sudo with each build command (autoconf, ./configure,
make and make install)?  It was the only way I could come up with to run
the commands successfully.

And did I mention how much more attrative Dictionary.com is in emacs-w3m
/ GNU/Emacs 23.1.50 / Xterm than in Firefox??  Holy Moly!  [... just did
C-c d on `moly'---it's an Hermetic herb, and this has been a truly
Hermetic theft, thanks for letting me steal from you!!]

Anyway ... yahoo!

* Re: Open a info file manually
@ 2009-11-16  0:41       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-11-16  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sean Sieger <sean.sieger@gmail.com> writes:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:
>
>     Am 11.11.2009 um 16:26 schrieb tomas:
>
>     > Hm. I don't quite understand what you want to do. Are you looking
>     > for a
>     > Lisp function to load an info file? Are you trying to load an info
>     > file
>     > given its path (as opposed to given an index entry)?
>
>     I started to think of a function that is like C-h i and does not look
>     up local information but googles for it. Therefore this function
>     would be bound to C-u C-h i...
>
>     W3m could be something, but it is more like a general solution to
>     access the internet. Maybe a package like those which look up in a
>     thesaurus words with the same meaning or which translate a word can
>     be a start. http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/mthesaur.el ? At
>     least Emacs wiki could be a start to search for more.
>
>     Let's wait for some possible feedback!
>
> I often wished that along with the all-important M-$, that I could look
> up a word in the Random House Unabridged Dictionary (used by
> Dictionary.com), it's really a fine way to look up the etymologies and
> American English pronunciations of words.
>
> Along with `backing out of' GNU/Emacs with C-u C-h i, I was thinking of
> the possibility of backing out of our incredible editor with C-u M-$ (or
> maybe a more appropriate binding than a spelling-related one) to get to
> a resource like Dictionary.com.
>
> And now I can!  Thanks for the prompting, Pete!
>
> I googled `emacswiki dictionary' and there it was:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DictionaryDotCom
>
> I know this comes unsolicited but, my three favorite tools on this
> planet are my Bianchi Pista, the Klein Haven Wire Rope Grip (I was an
> inverted CM chain hoist rigger for a lot of years) and the GNU/Emacs
> text editor.  AND IT JUST GOT EVEN BETTER.
>
> I installed w3m (on Ubuntu 9.10), got emacs-w3m from CVS and put the
> code from emacswiki in my dotemacs:
>
> ;;; w3m
> (require 'w3m-load)
> ;; dictionary
> (global-set-key (kbd "C-c d")
>                 (lambda ()
>                   (interactive)
>                   (w3m-goto-url
>                    (format "http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/%s"
>                            (read-string "Search word: " (current-word))))))
>
> Right?!  No C-<space>, M-f, M-w, no nothing, just C-c d!  Anywhere!
>
> My one question is rooted in installing CVS emacs-w3m:  was I really
> really wrong doing sudo with each build command (autoconf, ./configure,
> make and make install)?  It was the only way I could come up with to run
> the commands successfully.
>
> And did I mention how much more attrative Dictionary.com is in emacs-w3m
> / GNU/Emacs 23.1.50 / Xterm than in Firefox??  Holy Moly!  [... just did
> C-c d on `moly'---it's an Hermetic herb, and this has been a truly
> Hermetic theft, thanks for letting me steal from you!!]
>
> Anyway ... yahoo!

Hi Sean. You might also consider the excellent dictem package. A lot faster
than using w3m. My set can be found here:-

http://tinyurl.com/ygbej87