all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* auto complile the C program in the current buffer
@ 2005-02-13 18:51 GVK
From: GVK @ 2005-02-13 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
	I have the following lines in my .emacs for python mode

(add-hook 'python-mode-hook
           '(lambda()
              (define-key py-mode-map "\C-c\C-c" 'py-execute-prog)
              (define-key py-mode-map "\C-c\C-g" 'py-call-pdb)
              (define-key py-mode-map "\C-c\C-w" 'py-checker)))
(load "py-mode-ext.el")

When I type C-c C-c in python mode, the python program in the current
buffer will be interepreted. How can I do the same with C? I have the
following lines for C mode

(define-key c-mode-map "\C-c\C-c" 'compile)
(setq compile-command "gcc ")

But when I type C-c C-c, all I get in minibuffer is the line

gcc

How can I make C-c C-c compile the C prog in the current buffer?

Regards,
GVK

* Re: auto complile the C program in the current buffer
@ 2005-02-14 18:41 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-02-14 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

GVK wrote:
 > I have the following lines for C mode
 >
 > (define-key c-mode-map "\C-c\C-c" 'compile)
 > (setq compile-command "gcc ")
 >
 > But when I type C-c C-c, all I get in minibuffer is the line
 >
 > gcc
 >
 > How can I make C-c C-c compile the C prog in the current buffer?

`C-h v compile-command' has that very example.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: auto complile the C program in the current buffer
@ 2005-02-15  4:17   ` GVK
From: GVK @ 2005-02-15  4:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> `C-h v compile-command' has that very example.

compile-command's value is "gcc "

Documentation:
not documented as a variable.

@ 2005-02-15 18:36     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2005-02-15 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

GVK wrote:
 > Kevin Rodgers wrote:
 >> `C-h v compile-command' has that very example.
 >
 > compile-command's value is "gcc "
 >
 > Documentation:
 > not documented as a variable.

I don't know how you could have deleted compile-command's doc string,
but in `emacs-21.3 -q --no-site-file -l compile`:

compile-command's value is "make -k "

Documentation:
*Last shell command used to do a compilation; default for next compilation.

Sometimes it is useful for files to supply local values for this variable.
You might also use mode hooks to specify it in certain modes, like this:

     (add-hook 'c-mode-hook
        (lambda ()
	 (unless (or (file-exists-p "makefile")
		     (file-exists-p "Makefile"))
	   (set (make-local-variable 'compile-command)
		(concat "make -k "
		        (file-name-sans-extension buffer-file-name))))))

You can customize this variable.

Defined in `compile'.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: auto complile the C program in the current buffer
@ 2005-02-15 22:40       ` Hendrik Sattler
From: Hendrik Sattler @ 2005-02-15 22:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> I don't know how you could have deleted compile-command's doc string,
> but in `emacs-21.3 -q --no-site-file -l compile`:
>
> compile-command's value is "make -k "

But that does not compile the file in the current buffer but runs the
default makefile rule (or the specified one). To compile the current
buffer, you have to aditionally specify the target file.
I guess that's not what the OP wanted.

HS

* Re: auto complile the C program in the current buffer
@ 2005-02-16  8:40       ` GVK
From: GVK @ 2005-02-16  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Kevin Rodgers wrote:

> Sometimes it is useful for files to supply local values for this variable.
> You might also use mode hooks to specify it in certain modes, like this:
>
>     (add-hook 'c-mode-hook
>        (lambda ()
>      (unless (or (file-exists-p "makefile")
>              (file-exists-p "Makefile"))
>        (set (make-local-variable 'compile-command)
>         (concat "make -k "
>                 (file-name-sans-extension buffer-file-name))))))

Thanks a lot. I added the following lines in my .emacs and it's working.

(if
     (or (file-exists-p "makefile") (file-exists-p "Makefile"))
     (set 'compile-command "make -k ")
   (set 'compile-command (concat "gcc " buffer-file-name)))

Regards,
GVK