all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* install problem
@ 2014-04-09 18:17 Badaruddin Chachar
From: Badaruddin Chachar @ 2014-04-09 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

hi guys, i was intalling emacs and its giving following error, i tried googling but could not find solution. i tried emacs-22.1 and 24.3 but it gives same error... i have installed linux mint 16.

bchachar@Chachar ~/Downloads/Compressed/emacs-22.1 $ ./configure
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name...
See `config.log' for more details.
bchachar@Chachar ~/Downloads/Compressed/emacs-22.1 $

====> following is the error for 24.3
bchachar@Chachar ~/Downloads/Compressed/emacs-24.3 $ ./configure
checking for gawk... gawk
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/home/bchachar/Downloads/Compressed/emacs-24.3':
See `config.log' for more details
bchachar@Chachar ~/Downloads/Compressed/emacs-24.3 $

* Re: install problem
@ 2014-04-09 20:30 ` Nicolas Richard
       [not found] ` <mailman.19321.1397083177.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nicolas Richard @ 2014-04-09 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Badaruddin Chachar; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Badaruddin Chachar <bchachar@yahoo.com> writes:
> hi guys, i was intalling emacs and its giving following error, i tried
> googling but could not find solution. i tried emacs-22.1 and 24.3 but
> it gives same error... i have installed linux mint 16.

> See `config.log' for more details.
> bchachar@Chachar ~/Downloads/Compressed/emacs-22.1 $

What does it say in config.log wrt to this problem ?

--
Nico.

* Re: install problem
@ 2014-04-09 22:39 ` Bob Proulx
       [not found] ` <mailman.19321.1397083177.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bob Proulx @ 2014-04-09 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Badaruddin Chachar; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

Badaruddin Chachar wrote:
> checking whether the C compiler works... no
> configure: error: in `/home/bchachar/Downloads/Compressed/emacs-24.3':
> See `config.log' for more details

Have you ever compiled any other C program from source on your system?
The above looks to me like you don't have a C compiler installed.

You said Mint.  I don't know anything about Mint other than it is
another fork of Debian.  On Debian I would build-dep emacs.  I don't
know if Mint has this or not.

  # apt-get update
  # apt-get build-dep emacs24

That will install the build-essential metapackage including all of the
dependencies for a working C compiler plus all of the build
dependencies for building the maintainer's packaged version of emacs.
If you are building it yourself I assume it is because you want
something custom so may need more or less there but replicating the
distro maintainer's build is a good place to start.

Bob

* Re: install problem
       [not found] ` <mailman.19321.1397083177.10748.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2014-04-10  1:53   ` Rusi
From: Rusi @ 2014-04-10  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thursday, April 10, 2014 4:09:22 AM UTC+5:30, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Badaruddin Chachar wrote:
> > checking whether the C compiler works... no
> > configure: error: in `/home/bchachar/Downloads/Compressed/emacs-24.3':
> > configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
> > See `config.log' for more details

> Have you ever compiled any other C program from source on your system?
> The above looks to me like you don't have a C compiler installed.

Its useful (and fun) to build yourself.
But often not necessary.

Why are you not using the emacs package from your distribution (mint)?
[Note that's a genuine not rhetorical question]