all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs + maximum window size / maximum frame size + default home dir
@ 2011-04-08  5:19 rkv
From: rkv @ 2011-04-08  5:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Hello all,

i would like to set the maximum window size by default in my emacs init file
.

As of now from X windows when ever i open i have to do the alt+space+X to
maximize the window.

And also i would like to put my defualt dir from the home dir to some other
path in the .init file .

As of now it is the /home/<user>/ dir where again i have to navigate or give
whole path in c-x c-f .

if any body can help it would save lot of time for me.

regards
rkv

* Re: emacs + maximum window size / maximum frame size + default home dir
@ 2011-04-08  5:31 ` rkv
From: rkv @ 2011-04-08  5:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I got the solution ..

below is the statements i added to .emacs in my home dir which worked for
me..

(custom-set-variables
  ;; custom-set-variables was added by Custom.
 '(inhibit-startup-screen nil)
 '(initial-buffer-choice "~/projects/DHMMarvell/Software/SW"))
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 )

@ 2011-04-08  5:32   ` rkv
From: rkv @ 2011-04-08  5:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

and also this for maximzed window

(defun toggle-fullscreen ()
  (interactive)
  (x-send-client-message nil 0 nil "_NET_WM_STATE" 32
                         '(2 "_NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_VERT" 0))
  (x-send-client-message nil 0 nil "_NET_WM_STATE" 32
                         '(2 "_NET_WM_STATE_MAXIMIZED_HORZ" 0))
)
(toggle-fullscreen)

@ 2011-04-08  5:35 ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2011-04-08  5:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rkv; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

rkv <ramakanth.varala@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> i would like to set the maximum window size by default in my emacs init file
> .
>
> As of now from X windows when ever i open i have to do the alt+space+X to
> maximize the window.

Haven't done this myself. May be this will help or is a good place to
start.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FullScreen

Search for setenv and HOME in http://www.emacswiki.org

@ 2011-04-08  8:29 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-04-08  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rkv; +Cc: Help-gnu-emacs

Am 08.04.2011 um 07:19 schrieb rkv:

> i would like to set the maximum window size by default in my emacs
> init file

The variables default-frame-alist and initial-frame-alist exist.

> And also i would like to put my defualt dir from the home dir to
> some other
> path in the .init file .

You could put into your init file something like

	(setenv "HOME" (concat (getenv "HOME") path-separator "some/
directory"))

A side-effect of this would that C-x d ~ RET would not open your real
home directory but the faked $HOME.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Think of XML as Lisp for COBOL programmers.
				- Tony-A (some guy on /.)