On 2017-04-15 03:59, Eli Zaretskii wrote: >> From: Clément Pit--Claudel Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2017 >> 01:35:45 -0400 >> >> I'm running into performance issues with JSON encoding and >> decoding. I have a language mode whose eldoc function makes a call >> to a language server running as a subprocess, and small lags tend >> to be visible when moving quickly around the buffer. Profiling >> suggests that roughly 25 percent of the time is spent encoding and >> decoding JSON strings. > > Can you show the profiles? IME, the devil is almost always in the > details. Sure; I've attached one. >> Would there be strong objections to supporting a C JSON library in >> addition to the current ELisp implementation? This was suggested >> at one point in >> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2015-03/msg00770.html >> . It would be similar in spirit to supporting libxml-parse-region >> along xml-parse-region, and it could provide nice speed boosts to >> json-heavy ELisp programs. > > Since we have modules now, something that wasn't available back > then, you could roll your own library, right? That's right! I forgot about these. Let me try :)