all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Delegating key actions
@ 2010-05-15 21:15 Karan Bathla
From: Karan Bathla @ 2010-05-15 21:15 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

I would like to be able to use n,p,j,; as down,up,left,right respectively upon invocation of a function/minor-mode. Is there already some package that does something like this?
I want to delegate all keystrokes i.e. "C-n" and "M-n" would do "C-<down>" and "M-<down>" whatever function that keystroke corresponds to in the buffer.

Thanks
Karan

* Re: Delegating key actions
       [not found] <mailman.2.1273975665.25571.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2010-05-16 21:49 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2010-05-16 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Karan Bathla <karan_goku@yahoo.com> writes:
> I would like to be able to use n,p,j,; as down,up,left,right
> respectively upon invocation of a function/minor-mode. Is there
> already some package that does something like this?

If it was hjkl, there would be viper-mode.

(defun* backward-line (&optional (x 1))
    (interactive)
    (forward-line (- x)))

(defun my-movement-keys (off)
   (interactive "P")
   (let ((bindings '(("n" forward-line)
                     ("p" backward-line)
                     ("j" backward-char)
                     (";" forward-char))))
     (loop for (key fun) in bindings
           do (local-set-key (read-kbd-macro key)
                             (if off
                                 (function self-insert-command)
                                 fun)))))

> I want to delegate all keystrokes i.e. "C-n" and "M-n" would do
> "C-<down>" and "M-<down>" whatever function that keystroke corresponds
> to in the buffer.

Have a look at keyboard-translate