Please see the todo section, that was what I'm looking for: Incremental search with / and ? http://common-lisp.net/project/vial/darcs/extended-viper/vimlike.el If you can find some implementation that does that please let me know. Regards, Maindoor. --- On Wed, 8/12/09, Lennart Borgman wrote: From: Lennart Borgman Subject: Re: better search To: "Maindoor" Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org Date: Wednesday, August 12, 2009, 9:00 PM On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 9:28 AM, Maindoor wrote: > Hi, > Is it possible in the viper package to make the search incremental ? > right now I have to press entire the "string" and press enter once > and press or to search forward and backward. > > Do we have a way where in I press and typing a string causes an > incremental search. When I find the instance I press enter. and > subsequent or will search forward and backward. > > This looks like a very basic sane request. I am sure folks would have > thought about this requirement. Is there a way out ? Personally I just use the normal Emacs isearch, ie C-s. It works very well even when you are using Viper. And I use /  when I want to search vi style. I find it handy to have both. You can of course rebind / in the vi mode keymap if you want too. Look in viper-keym.el for the name of the keymaps.