all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* DOS-style filename in emacs 21.1 mode-line
@ 2003-03-23 21:07 John Woodruff
From: John Woodruff @ 2003-03-23 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

On one occasion only -- when I drag & drop a file onto the Icon of a
not-started emacs -- the file name is written in the mode-line in the
old DOS notation of all-caps with 8 chars.

Every other idiom for finding a file represents the name with full
charset.

I am running the manufactured emacs from emacs-21.1-fullbin-i386 on
windows 98.

Suggestion to resolve this very minor infelicity?

John

* Re: DOS-style filename in emacs 21.1 mode-line
@ 2003-03-24  4:28 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.3547.1048480557.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-03-24  4:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

> From: jpwoodruff@irisinternet.net (John Woodruff)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 23 Mar 2003 13:07:57 -0800
>
> On one occasion only -- when I drag & drop a file onto the Icon of a
> not-started emacs -- the file name is written in the mode-line in the
> old DOS notation of all-caps with 8 chars.
>
> Every other idiom for finding a file represents the name with full
> charset.
>
> I am running the manufactured emacs from emacs-21.1-fullbin-i386 on
> windows 98.
>
> Suggestion to resolve this very minor infelicity?

I don't think you can do anything, short of upgrading your OS.  This
is a misfeature of Windows.

What program does the icon have in its "command" window?

* Re: DOS-style filename in emacs 21.1 mode-line
@ 2003-03-24 13:05 ` Benjamin Riefenstahl
       [not found] ` <mailman.3547.1048480557.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Benjamin Riefenstahl @ 2003-03-24 13:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi John,

jpwoodruff@irisinternet.net (John Woodruff) writes:
> On one occasion only -- when I drag & drop a file onto the Icon of a
> not-started emacs -- the file name is written in the mode-line in
> the old DOS notation of all-caps with 8 chars.
> [...]
> I am running the manufactured emacs from emacs-21.1-fullbin-i386 on
> windows 98.

file-truename does convert from short names to long names, but
plugging it into Emacs in the right place is a problem.  Reading the
source, there doesn't seem a convinient hook.  I'd suggest patching
the appropriate routine by adding this to your ~/.emacs:

 (defadvice command-line-normalize-file-name
   (before benny-command-line-normalize-file-name (file) activate)
   (setq file (file-truename file)))

This works with 21.2.1 and Win95, I hope it works with 21.1, too.

Hope this helps, benny

@ 2003-03-25  4:40   ` John Woodruff
From: John Woodruff @ 2003-03-25  4:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote in message news:<mailman.3547.1048480557.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>...
> > From: jpwoodruff@irisinternet.net (John Woodruff)
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: 23 Mar 2003 13:07:57 -0800
> >
> > On one occasion only -- when I drag & drop a file onto the Icon of a
> > not-started emacs -- the file name is written in the mode-line in the
> > old DOS notation of all-caps with 8 chars.
> > Suggestion to resolve this very minor infelicity?
>
> I don't think you can do anything, short of upgrading your OS.  This
> is a misfeature of Windows.

OP here:  I'm not at all sure which direction is "up".  I'll learn to
live with it...